This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
is it possible to avoid repetetive target="_blank" code for all the links?

hello,
my site has many outgoing links and i place target="_blank" for all of them. is it possible to place some code using css or HTML to avoid that but still have the effect?
thank you.

Re: is it possible to avoid repetetive target="_blank" code for all the links?

My experience, based on observation of user/maching interaction as part of my work, is that opening links in new windows is very confusing for a lot of users, even for IT professionals. Also having multiple new windows tends to upset people and will discourage them from returning.

There are things you could do with Javascript but personally I find it easiest to hand code my links in html, simply copying and pasting a previous one as a template and editing the bits that need changing

Re: is it possible to avoid repetetive target="_blank" code for all the links?

thanks Peter,
i was just trying to know if there is any way of doing away with repetitive code not just about target=_blank.
regarding opening in new window,
my site needs such a method. i cant go otherwise.
thanks for your advice.

Re: Re: is it possible to avoid repetetive target="_blank" code for all the links?

Repetitive code can always be handled in a .js file using document.write statements but:

Links will not be followed by spiders so every page in your site that you want indexed by search engines must be accessible through plain html.

I would consider it bad manners to use scripts to link to external sites as you are denying the recipient hte benefit of the link in their search engine rating.