This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
IE vs.Firefox

Help! I've just uploaded my webpages for school and they look fine in Firefox. Unfortunately my teachers all use Internet Explorer and the pages look terrible!
Any assistance on how to fix this bug would be greatly appreciated!

http://infotechcareers.bravehost.com

Re: IE vs.Firefox

Unfortunately its more then one bug. There's no 'one fix' solution. As you see, IE renders things differently, one being padding and margins, (box model), then other browsers....problems aren't exclusive to IE either.

Best thing to do is take each problem, redo it, research for solution if needed...my opinion.

One problem could be fixed with something as simple as using % instead of px...or making adjustments for padding/margin...(just an example, not meaning your page)....you just have to work it

I really like the IE plug-in Firefox has..it helps to switch back and forth when making a page

Where can I find this plug-in?

As slackerbabe says, IE renders things a little differently than other browsers. Firefox and Netscape handle HTML errors a little better. And, because you are using the Website Wizard, you need to work within the wizard's restrictions.

Your initial problem is the size of your images. The image on your front page is 570 pixels wide. The content area, however, is only defined to be 559 pixels wide, and that doesn't account for the margins or padding. Since you are using the Website Wizard, and can not get to the style sheet to change the content area definition, you need to reduce the size of the image(s). You don't have reduce it by much to make it work right. I reduced it by 5% (542 x 186 pixels) and it fits and works fine in that area. The same is true with some of your other pages.

If you don't already have a graphic editor to reduce the size, take a look at IrfanView.com. This is a free graphic editor with a resize and resample capability. The resample capability helps preserve the image quality better than a simple resize.

The text on your pages looks like you did a copy paste from something like Microsoft Word. The paste is dragging along a lot of MS formatting and is showing up on the page. Netscape and FireFox is nice enough to hid it, but IE does not. Either use the code editor mode and get rid of that formatting, or save the original file as unformatted text. Then copy/paste back into your content areas.

After that, your pages should look pretty much the same, no matter what browser you are using.

Cleveland,
IE ext

If that link doesnt work, for some reason, just go to Firefox Start page, look for 'Themes and Extensions' link....

The IE extension is listed in 'Popular', as well as general extensions...I would suggest that page anyway, so that you can browse all extensions...they have everything you can think of...all helpful..check out the Web Developer 1.0.2 toolbar if haven't already...

Also, I recommend, Colorzilla and MeasureIt...both combined, take up, maybe, 3/4" space on left status bar (bottom)...little space but the functions they perform are huge! (lol I just measured, its 60px)

Oh yeah and Quick Notes is cool too...haha, i could go on and on...FF extensions rock! check 'em out

i have this problem on my marquee text on firefox.. i build the site in ie.. how can i code this for firefox works the same with ie.. here the site www.pinayscandals.sytes.net

i saw this code in some site but i dont know how to use this in the marquee..

//if IE4+ & //if NS6

thanks to whoever reply to this one..

Browser: czymon23,4