This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Page allignment and Submit Button to email

Hiya!

This is the first time I've made a web page. I made it in Publisher. First problem is that it looks centered and fine in publisher, but when in a web brouser it is over to te left. what do I do.

Second problem is that I have two pages with forms on them. I have the submit button set up to send the form info to my email address at bravenet. Unfortunately, I get this error message.

Not Found
The requested URL /--WEBBOT-SELF-- was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Now, this is what I got back from Bravenet when I emailed them with the problem.

Dear Greg Maskalick,

It appears that the following is the culprit which may be causing this issue:

Unfortunately, we do not offer coding support.

OK, so HELP!!! The form problems are on my last two pages of my website. If anyone can help asap I would be very grateful as one of the events I am selling tickets for is fast approaching.

Please remember, I am not a computer wiz. So tell me in simple talk what to do, or if you feel you can correct the problem please let me know what I need to send you.

Cheers,

Greg

Re: Page allignment and Submit Button to email

Sorry, I forgot to put in my website address. It is www.maomc.com.

Thanks,
Greg

In your form code you have action="--WEBBOT-SELF--"
Should be action="http://pub41.bravenet.com/emailfwd/senddata.php"
I brought up and old bravenet form I had and it also had this

the number in value= would be different for you. That number tells them who you are

Here's what was left out of the line from the above message.
input type="hidden" name="usernum" value="3440780918"

Bennie,

Thanks so much. Unfortunately, I'm a novice at this. Since I made it in Publisher it was basically 'what you see is what you get.' Where do I find these codes and how do I change them?

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Re: Re: Page allignment and Submit Button to email

Using Publisher is not a good idea. It is intended to create printed publications not web sites. There are plenty of editors available as free downloads. Look out for Netscape Composer or Front Page Express.

You can access the underlying code by simply opening the html file in a text editor such as Notepad.

With regard to the form, it isn't clear if you have signed up for Bravenet's form service. If you have then you must check that the form follows Bravenet's requirements (read the forms tutorial). If you haven't registered then it still won't work. Log in to your account and sign up.

I've put n the code as above. It now takes me to bravenet and asks me to log on, but still no email in my email box. Could someone look at the code and tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it.

At least the form is taking the user to bravenet. Now if I can just get it into my email box!!!

Thanks for all your help Bennie

Greg

I don't know if this is the problem or not, but noticed that the order page code is completely inside the form. The form code is normally placed somewhere in the page code. Hope that makes sense.

Here's and example of your site not using that large image map you're currently using. There are 2 images for the menu buttons, 1 for the church, 1 for the horizonal line, and 1 for the graphic at the top of the page. Makes it much easier to edit the site if you want to change some text, right now you would have to redo the image map. I added a hover effect to the menu and centered the page also.

Greg M,

You need to step back and define what you are trying to do a little better. I think some of the postings are confusing the issue.

Your original complaint was about the "WEBBOT-SELF" error that you were getting. The code that you were using does work, but it requires you to have frontpage extensions enabled on the server. Not everyone has hosting that supports this and not everyone wants to even use the extensions. On Bravenet, only the Premium hosting accounts support frontpage extensions and then they require you to upload using frontpage only.

If you are simply trying to use Bravenet's Email Forms service, then your code needs some adjustment. First, you need to be registered. If you have not already registered for the email forms sercvice, do it. Because the information you need to send email this way, is in your email forms service manager.

Once registered, go to the email forms service manager and click on the "copy-paste code" link. There you will find a fully operational sample form. You don't have to use that form, but it contains some important information required by your form. An example of what you should be looking for is below:

These are the tag, and three hidden fields, from my email forms service. I highlighted some important features and removed the style settings, to make it easier to read.

First is the server name in the tag. Not everyone is assigned the same server. You can only use the server you are assigned. The first tag is a hidden field that contains your userid number. This is needed to identify you to the server. If it is wrong, or in the wrong place, all you will get is a Bravenet login screen. Sound familiar? Note, the number in the code above is my userid number, please substitute your own userid number and server name.

The next hidden field is to limit the size of attachments. The free service doesn't allow attachments, so you can just leave this one out. The last hidden field is the "CPV" value. This is a number that tells the server which form processor to use.

If you take the required fields and replace the tag at the beginning of your form, and include your hidden input fields, you should be able to get the form to work properly. Make sure you remove all of the "WEBBOT-SELF" data, unless you are intending to use frontpage extensions.

I also see that right now you are trying to use a "mailto" action. It's not done correctly, but a "mailto" action is not very useful anyway. Clicking on the submit button may bring up a email form with all your data inside, but unless the visitor has a fully configured email client on their PC, the email will not go anywhere. Most of your visitors will not have their PC properly configured and it just frustrates them so they give up. Email forms is designed to get around this problem and helps keep your email address off of the internet, which helps reduce the amount of spam you get. If you want your visitors to be able to reliably send you email, use form mail and keep your email address off of the internet.