This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sideways Scrolling

Can anyone please tell me how to stop a bravenet page in my framed site (main area) from scrolling sideways at the bottom?!

I host and design my own sites now and decided to re-added my guestbook and add a new classified ads section (both pro versions) but they both contain scrollbars along the bottom.

I have tried putting everything into tables with a 700 pixel width. I'm viewing on a monitor in 1280x1024 resolution and I still have a scroll bar at the bottom! Any ideas would be much appreciated

I haven't given the url as I am currently working on the site offline.

Re: Sideways Scrolling

No.

Seriously, though:

Perhaps everyone could suggest all the mistakes they thought you could possibly have made. But it would probably take you longer to read through all of that than to upload a test version for us to see. Would have to be a perfect, finished site. In fact, if you upload an incomplete version and there's no scroll bar, that may be just the clue you need.

Ok if you go to:

http://www.theshowring.co.uk/index1.htm and click on the Free Classifieds link you will see what I mean all being well

I have set the width to 80% in a table instead but still have the same issue

Re: Re: Sideways Scrolling

Its fine in Firefox but I then replicated the problem in IE. However wide I made the page it still had the horizontal scroll. The problem is cosmetic as none of the content is pushed out of the frame.

The problem must be in the Bravenet code, I would suggest raising a support ticket although I doubt if they will be able to do much in the short term.

I see a bit of scrolling on your main page, which is due to those three images in a row being too big to fit. It does not really matter what the table code says if the images won't fit in a third of the available space.

However, on the Free Classifieds page, I see no horizontal scrolling at all. At 800x600 it looks like this (colours reduced to preserve bandwidth):

Image hosting by Photobucket

Anyway, changing the table to 80%....
It has been a long day, so it may be me that is thinking about this the wrong way. But it seems to me this would have the effect of requiring an extra 25% empty space to display around the table?

Thanks I will raise the issue with Bravenet as it doesn't look very professional with the scroll along the bottom and since I have paid for the service I would like it sorted or my money back.

As for the main site, it is not designed for viewing in 800x600 but for 1024x768+ so yes in that case it will scroll. This is stated on the website ;)

Anyway, thanks for looking into it

Re: Re: Sideways Scrolling

Do make it clear that the problem is specific to Microsoft Internet Explorer.

I had no problem on Firefox and Corwing's screen shot doesn't look like IE to me either. (You will find that experienced webmasters tend to use other browsers)

I didn't have any horizonal scrolling with Firefox or IE. Could I ask why you're using frames?

I stated that it seemed that this was mainly an issue with IE. Their response was as follows:

Unfortunately we cannot help you fix this as it is an issue with your HTML source code. However, you should be able to resolve this issue by making your frame larger.

Well, I tried with the right hand frame(s) totally removed so everything including the main page was the whole width of the screen and I still had the same problem in every resolution I tried. The only way I can make it look right is to target it off the main site to its own page or to make it a non-framed website.

As for having a framed site I just prefer it as I have over 150 pages in total when the site is complete and it just makes life easier as far as I'm concerned.

Could it be an issue with Frontpage? This is the first time I've tried using it as normally I just do it all in Notepad from scratch.

I forgot to say I want this working specifically for IE as the vast majority of my visitors use it as their browser. If it doesn't look right to me then obviously it won't look right to them

Here's and example of your site without frames

Thanks for that Bennie. Very interesting