This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
problem with frames

hi ppl,

why is that framesets are not working in my site?

is there anyother alternative solution?

can anyone help me?

Re: problem with frames

Uh... Do you expect us to tell us what is wrong on your site without the URL?

Either your coding is wrong, or you are using a webhost that doesn't support frames. A number of free webhosts don't. Without your URL....

You will perhaps have noticed that very few really successful professional sites use frames. That is because frames cause more problems than they solve. If you tell us why you think you need frames (and your URL), someone can probably suggest an alternative and better solution.

hi,

i am a beginer in html. i have designed a webiste and it has around 15 pages. i need a menu on the left side of each page for easy navigation of the pages. can u sujjest me as how to do it?

Beginner? Then I assume the problem is that the term "URL" is not familiar. You can find an explanation at http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/U/URL.html.

But examples are often better than explanations.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/U/URL.html is the URL of that page.

While Corwings puts on some more coffee, maybe I can help.

If you are using a free web site, don't bother with trying to use frames. Bravenet doesn't stop you from using frames, but every frame is going to contain a banner. Some free web hosts allow you to suppress the banner, for frames based web sites, but Bravenet is not one of them.

You don't need a frames based web site to have a navigation menu. My site is a table structure. On the front page, the left and right column of the table is used for navigation. Within the pages, the right menu goes away and a horizontal bar is used. Both of these are JavaScript driven. The JavaScript originally came from DynamicDrive.com but was modified for my own purposes.

This is not the only way you can do things. There are lots of different menu types and structures available. If you give us the address of your site, we might be able to make a suggestion.

Well i am thinking you want to have a menu that stays in the same spot even when u scroll to the bottom of the page in this case use DHTML and CSS.

you would do something like

NOTE: I have not tryed this, this is just an example

I'm thinking his problem is he is using the free version of bravenet and has not yet upgraded you cannot use frames unless you've upgraded I'mpretty sure unless I read it wrong

Browser: cooldood92@hotmail.com,3

Same problem here!
I had it also with topcities on my tree homepage so I make a turn.
Put the "invisble" page (that split the frames in 2)on a host that can!
and link it to the pages on bravenet!

Frames are good for a few special situations. For general site navigation they cause more problems that they solve.

A couple of points about frames with Bravenet.

1. Yes you can put your frameset elsewhere and host the content on Bravenet but that will really mess up your pages with banners in each frame.

2. Bravenet originally blocked frames on free hosting but when they added more functionality they didn't change the T&Cs but did let frames display with an ad in each. Depending on what options you use to build your site you may either get multiple ads or you may hit the original blocks which are still in place and get a blank page.