This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
My HTML form code does produce the form fields.

I created a subscription form from Responders.com. I paste the HTML into the code editor exactly as I should. After publishing the site, I tested the form. I clicked on it and when redirected to the actual form page to complete the request, no fields (name, email, etc.) were displayed. Any help or your experience is appreciated.

Re: My HTML form code does produce the form fields.

Your problem doesn't appear to be with the code you inserted on your site. I know that responders.com has a support forum of their own. You would probably get a better answer by going to their forum.

Mark... Looks like everyone of your input fiels are hidden except the submit field.

Martin, thanks. I went to Responders.com forum and unfortunately there are posts there from January 5, 2006, that haven't been answered. I've emailed their help people, so I'll see what kind of response I get. BUT, here's the thing, I can take my Responders code and paste it into Outlook Express, or my other mail programs with HTML, send an email to myself; open the emai; request to submit the form and when I do that voila! Everything's there. I only have the problem with Bravenet!

Bennie, if you've read the above, it kinda sorta describes what's going on, but you're right. When you click on the button to fill out the form, the Responders form page opens up and all you see is the "Submit" button - no name or email fields for the potential subscriber to complete.

Thanks!

So, you will have to edit your HTML so that those fields (the ones you want to show up) are not hidden.

Responders.com works a little differently than a email form that most people are use to. The code that they supply is what they call "Responder" code. The code does not contain viewable form fields. All of the fields are suppose to be hidden. The only thing that the user sees is a "Click Here For Details" button. The hidden
An example of what you should see, with a working form, can be seen at my Responder.com email page. If you click on the "Click Here For Details" button, you shold be taken to a page with a email form. This is where you fill in everything and post the form.

It is an interesting way of doing things and the administration is interesting as well. If you, the adiministrator of the form, use the "Click Here For Details" button, while you are visiting your own site, the server recognizes you as the administrator. It then shows you the form along with an extra button that you can use to modify your form. I'm not sure I care too much for this service. It does work but it does not hide your email address from the internet. All your info is embedded in the hidden tags.

Now I know you are all hanging on my every word and can't wait to find out what Marks problem is.
In a word the "Website Wizard". OK, so that's two words, but it should stike fear in all that are reading this. It is not going to be easy to make this form work in a Website Wizard design. The problem is with the Wizards editor. There is a line in Mark's responder code that is suppose to say:

But if you look at Mark's code you will see that the delimiting characters, "|", are missing. This field is used by respondes.com to construct the email form. The Website Wizard seems to have an aversion to these characters and removes them. Without the delimiting characters, you have no form. But there does appear to be a solution (drum roll please!).

If you replace the delimtiter, "|", with it's ASCII equivalent, "|", the form will work. The line that I listed above would need to be modified to this:

I know it looks messy, and if you change your form you will have to make these changes again, but it does work, and is the only way I have found to get around the Wizard's problem. It's tedious to make sure you have every character correct, but if you want to use the responders.com form with a Wizard creation, this is what you need to do.

Oh yea, I almost forgot. Here is a link with Mark's code to show that it can be made to work in a Website Wizard creation, on a free Bravenet web site.

Mark's Responders.com Email Form Test