This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
I've tried and tried..please help me carefully

Hi, My name is gary and i made a post a few weeks ago about drop down menus.
I've tried so many times to put the code in but i can never get it to work.
Can someone do it for me or give me a step by step instructions please?
that would help alot.
Thanks
-Gary

Re: I've tried and tried..please help me carefully

I looked at your page, and couldn't find any drop-down menu code. Perhaps you removed it, but nobody can find out what your mistake was if it isn't there.

Right now, I think it would be more important to replace your .bmp images with web format images like .gif or .jpg.

This image
Image hosting by Photobucket is 6 kb, instead of 140.

It isnt there because..i have no idea were to put the code.
Can you help me out with that.

Hi Gary,

I have explained using Javascripts in the Website Wizard several times. I thought I did it for your original posting, but maybe I missed it.

Most Javascript menus are split into two parts. On part goes in the structure and the rest in the structure. But, since the Wizard doesn't give you access to the structure, you are stuck squishing everything into the . This doesn't stop it from working correctly but it's a little more difficult to work with.

The second part of the problem is the Wizard's editor. The Wizard's editor removes all return characters from the code in your content areas. Your browser doesn't care if there are no line breaks. It can interpret it just fine. It's not much of a problem to read either, but certain structures in Javascript depend on a terminating return character. Particularly the comment character. Here is a very simple example. The code below is simly defining a variable and an array. The lines that start with "//" are just comments so the user can understand the code. The return character at the end of each comment line, terminates the comment, and allows the next line to be interpreted by Javascript.

However, if you put this in one of the Wizard's content areas, all of the return characters will be removed and the code will look like this:

The forum is probably going to wrap the line for viewing, but without any return characters it's all just one long line. Without any return character to end the the comment, this line turns into one big comment. If it was changed to use the other comment characters it would look like this, and probably work.

The /* starts a comment and the */ ends a comment. The trouble is, most people don't user the second method any more.

This isn't the only thing that needs to be fixed, to make the code work, when you using the Website Wizard to create your pages. Often times, other syntax rules are ignored in other areas because the return character provides the terminator. It just takes some time and patience to get it all right.

If you let me know what dropdown menu you are trying to use, I may be able to fix it to be usable with the Wizard's editors.

I'm tring out the bravenet drop down menus.
Ive tried so hard to follow the directions but it never works.
Can you just put the code in for me?
I trust you for knowing my password and such.
Just make the drop down menu and ill take care of the rest like the pages and such.
My menu is the most important thing right now.

I helped Gary by building him a complete new site

Old site OLD
New site NEW

Take a peek & stick a few words in his guestbook.

Browser: isurf2ya2,4

IT looks better but the writing seems really small. Plus he could use some seperate paragraphs. All that text seems overwhelming and makes me NOT want to bother reading it.

Your right Nathalie,

But I simply copied the contents over, it would
have taken me a lifetime to paragraph everything
for him aswell... Anyway I did it for him for free & gave him a free Domain name aswell.

I think its a major improvement on the .com Site.

Browser: isurf2ya2,4