This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How can I get my pages to hide ".html" in the name?

My pages need their html extension to work. I can't type in "www.paulpinto.bravehost.com/news" for example. I need to put the ".html" at the end, and I don't really want to. I'm fairly terrible with html, so I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Re: How can I get my pages to hide ".html" in the name?

You would have to locate a different web host if you wanted to be able to view your pages using a partial URL. The Bravenet servers are set up to do exactly what you are seeing.

Or, you could open a ticket and ask them to change the logic on their servers to work the way you want.

So, two choices:

(1) move your site to another host, such as GeoCities
(2) open a ticket to ask Bravenet to change the way their servers work.

I'm not endorsing GeoCities, just pointing out that they are an example of a free web host that has the servers set up to deliver web pages in response to a partial URL. I don't think it's a good idea to depend on quirks like this, because they can change at any time.

Thanks so much for your help.

How to hide the .html on any hosting

Step 1. Create a sub folder with the name that you want to use.

Step 2. Create the page as index.html in that folder.

Step 3. Change links to point to the new location.

For example to get rid of the .html from the end of a page named car.html you first create a new folder within your site called car. You then move the car.html file into that folder and rename it index.html. Finally you change the links to the page from car.html to car. Once this is done then http://www.yoursite.com/car will load the page that you want.

Beat me too it.

I used this technique when I got a new domain for my site. Makes everything look much neater.

Thats awesome, great advice! Answer my css question, ehehe!