This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
html formatting problem.

I feel good about how well I am learning html and I am very proud of my Web site.

HOWEVER I am discovering that I don't understand Tables, Spans, and some of the Formatting html which I am working on learning today.

For the life of me I just don't see what the problem is on my pages that causes a LARGE distance between the "end" of the page text and the start of my Footer????

I have played with a variety of different things in the code. The results are no change or my footer goes bonkers and is not correctly placed!

I give up and wonder if anyone can take a peek and see if they notice where my problem is?

I have set up the following test page which shows the problem.....

http://happymomanna.com/SpecialFeatures/test.html

Thanks for ANY HELP!

Anna

Re: html formatting problem.

The extra space is caused by the following code:

Take out height=262 and the height will adjust to fit the content.

However, I think you need to look carefully at your table structure. It is past my bedtime, so I couldn't go through it all to find out what was part of which table, but I found the following:

You may have nested tables, but I don't think that can ever be correct. Nothing should ever precede but or

Thank you,

I believe the one thing I have a phobia about learning seems to be the tables, and spans. I had the same problem leaning Excell due to some strange unknown and unfounded fear...I would not doubt that I have nested something since I have an avoidance issues in learning about these tables...which was why I went with a template!

I guess I have to face my fears and learn to overcome them....

Anna

Uh... "nested" just means one table within another. But good luck with overcoming your fears. A good trick for fixing tables is to change the border attribute. Makes it easier to see where each table begins and ends.

This may sound goofy, but I often use td elements with coding like bgcolor=red, bgcolor=blue, etc., in combination with the ever-popular colspan, rowspan, etc., and view the .html file right on my hard drive (without uploading it anywhere) to make sure my table setup is working correctly. When the design is working OK, I take the bgcolor attributes out. (Or when I'm really feeling wild, I just change them to xbgcolor=blue, etc., so they will be ignored by the web browser but I can easily turn them back on if I get confused later... Well, I said this was a goofy idea!)

You should also be aware that CSS is often suggested in place of using tables for layout. You should play around with both CSS and tables to see which can do the job for you. But it will be important to check your designs in more than one browser.

Thank You I have been distracted a bit but think I will eventually fix the problem and understand much more! Considering I learned to turn on a computer less than a year ago I am not doing toooo bad!

Anna