This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Re: Need Help with a online form

I am answering in a separate thread because when you insert code as you did, it prevents anyone from replying.

Your doing a lot of stuff right, but your problems start with your first line of code. The rest of your form looks like you are trying to use Bravenet's email forms. When you use their form mail service, you do not use a "mailto" action parameter. For example, your first line looks like this:

my email addres is here)">

Using "mailto" references is mostly a waste of time, but the "action" parameter should contain the name of your form mail server. The server name is in your form mail copy/paste code and should look something like this.

This is the line from my Bravenet email form. Yours should be very similar, but will probably reference a different server name. Form mail processing is intended to hide your email address. The service alutomatically send your processed form data to the email address that you registered with Bravenet.

Next are your first couple of questions. I have highlighted the problem area. When they say "unique_name", they really mean "change this to a name that is unique from all other names". With the possible exception of "radio" buttons, all your input fields must have unique names or only the last one will be returned.

Whats your Name (first and last please)

Whats your Main Alias (aka Axever)

Whats your Email

I briefly looked at the rest of the form and didn't see any glaring problems, but you should check it over carefully.

Re: Re: Need Help with a online form

okaay. i understand most of that and will see if i can get it to work. Thanks for replying!

oh but uhh, how do i tell what server i refer too?
as you mention here...

form action="http://pub30.bravenet.com/emailfwd/senddata.php" method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" style="margin:0px;"

This is the line from my Bravenet email form. Yours should be very similar, but will probably reference a different server name.

Finding out the correct server to use is simple. I already mentioned it, but it's buried in the explanation. Go back to your Bravenet Email Forms service manager and click on the "copy-paste code" link. This should display the code for a sample email form. It's a simple form, but fully functional, and contains all the necessary fields. About 4 lines down is the tag with your server name. As long as your there, make sure the other required hidden input fields are correct. Specifically, the "usernum" field.

For test purposes, you might want to just paste that form in a test page and try thing out. Then you will know how everything is suppose to respond. You can then insert your changes, piece by piece, until it's exactly the way you want.

Hi there . . . I have put my own form, instead of the bravenet e-mail form on my website, after having just upgraded to premium. Not sure if I have put the info down right. Here's a link to the page where the form is. Can anyone see by viewing the source if I have done it right?

Click Here

BTW Martin, you have certainly contributed much helpful information to these forums. I have come across some of it in my searches. Thanks for taking the time.

blumoon,

Initially, there may be a few misconceptions here. Upgrading to a Premium hosted site, doesn't give you anything extra in the line of form mail processing, unless you write a PHP processor of your own. Secondly, including your email address defeats one of the essential elements of form mail, which is to hide your email address.

The basic structure of your form is correct but there are a few initial problems. First, you have two tags. The first three lines of your code look like this:

enctype="multipart/form-data" name="name">

The first tag is extra and not needed. Delete it now or it will cause confusion later. Don't take me wrong but, the next two lines look like your makeing this up as you go. On the second tag, I assume you were trying to simply use a "mailto" action, but you have it combined with a form process. Plus, there is no need for a "name" attribute. The correct structure for a "mailto" reference is below.

But note that this comes with warnings. A form with a "mailto" reference will only work if your visitor has a fully configured email client on their PC. This fact is vaguely mentioned in Bravenet's email forms tutorial. Most visitors use some kind of web mail (yahoo, hotmail, etc..) and only access mail through a web browser. The "mailto" reference may seem like it's doing something, but if there isn't a sendmail host configured, it won't go any where. Even your email through your web site. I think Bravenet provides you with POP3 acess to get your mail, but they don't provide you with a send mail host. Effectively, that is just web mail. It may even take 3 or 4 days before the visitors system tell them their email didn't go anywhere. That is one of the other reasons for using a form mail service. The visitor doesn't have to have any special configuration on their site, to send you email.

The third line, well..., I'm not sure what you intended there. It looks like you were trying to combine all the essential elements of the hidden fields. First, with a "mailto" form action, there is no need for the line at all. The hidden fields, provided by Bravenet, are to identify you and your service to the form processor. The "usernum" is your Bravenet user ID number, the "cpv" value tells the server which form processor to use, and the "MAX_FILE_SIZE" is to limit the size of attachments. If you were using Bravenet's free email forms, you are not allowed to have attachments and really don't need that line. But the point is that, they all must be separate hidden tags and are only needed if you are using Bravenet's email form processors.

I understand not wanting to use Bravenet's free email forms service. There are too many restrictions and advertisments. I wouldn't want to force it on my visitors to just send me some email. There are other free email forms services available. I use a free service from Form-Mail.com. It is limited in the number of emails per month. But I don't need it for much, so it suites me fine. But there are plenty of other services. You might also want to try FormMail.To/You! or Mail Maniac. Take advantage of the form mail services and keep your email address off of the internet.

Ahhhhhh..

Okaay thanks alot! You've been a great help!

Hi Martin, thanks for explaining that to me. LOL, you were right. I AM making it up as I go along. I seem to know just enough to be dangerous. LOL.
Perhaps I will look into those other forms you mentioned, or maybe I will just put the bravenet one back on for now. Can't blame a gal for trying.
Thanks for being so helpful.