This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
W3C Markup Validation

I tried the W3C Markup Validation service at http://validator.w3.org/ for my website http://efreeonline.net. As expected a major error pointed out was that it does not have the :

line at the top of the html.

This is a problem I have encountered for quite some time when using Bravenet's WYSIWYG editor. I am using a free template downloaded from the Bravenet template library. When I first started out the html did have the Doctype description on the first line. However after a while the line just disappeared by itself. I wonder why Bravenet's WYSIWYG editor is doing this ?

Browser: nashamiki@yahoo.com

Re: W3C Markup Validation

There was something missing in my post. The line missing from the top of my html is this :

Browser: nashamiki@yahoo.com,4

Strange I wonder why that line of text even disappears each time I try to post here:

Re: Re: W3C Markup Validation

HTML works here. So if you are posting a tag or maybe a doctype statement, it won't be visible.
The work around is to use < instead of the beginning bracket <.

(Obviously what I just typed won't display right either, not as seen here. The workaround for that is to use &#38; instead of &. Was that confusing? If not, I can do one level more, since simply typing &#38; won't work either)

I'm sorry I cannot help you with your problem, but I don't know what to do with WYSIWYG editors.

Re: Re: Re: W3C Markup Validation

Less confusing is to type < and &

The solution to getting a doctype at the top of your pages is to use an editor that either puts one there for you or allows you to enter it. If the browser you are currently using doesn't put a doctype in your page then switch to one that does. Bravenet support any web editor you choose to use on your own computer.

Hi and thanks guys for trying to help. OK I'll try to display the doctype as follows :

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional

I usually use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox when I am editing my website with Bravenet's website editor, and I frequently switch between visual editor and text editor. I just can't fathom whether I am doing something wrong which makes the doctype line disappear.