This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
div Graphic Positioning and an Editor...will it do this?

I've been reading about div graphic positioning, and saw this comment......

'The WIDTH and HEIGHT attributes are the width and height of your graphic in pixels. It's important to put these in (most HTML editors will do this for you automatically) because the browser....'

I recently started using an editor, HTML-Kit...(if i can ever figure out what all the stuff on it is).....

I was wondering if anyone else uses the HTML-Kit, and will it do whats hi-lited in red?...if so, could you tell me where that option is/or how to use it...

Or if anyone knows of an editor that does that automatically like that...would save so much time!

thanks

Re: div Graphic Positioning and an Editor...will it do this?

The web page you were looking at:

http://graphicdesign.about.com/library/weekly/aa060800i.htm

is not talking about div elements, which can be used to position graphics and text on a page.

The article you quoted from is just talking about img elements, and it is, indeed, common practice for HTML editors to fill in the width and height attributes, because it helps web browsers display the pages more quickly. But note, these elements simply tell the browser how large the image is to be, not where it is to be displayed on the page.

You seem to be interested in div elements.

Some browsers use div elements to make it easier for them to try to do their WYSIWYG rendering, but the results are often inconsistent from browser to browser, or can result in either overlaps or gaps.

wow...um that isnt exactly the page i was looking at...but how did you know i was on the website?!!!

heres the page i was looking at...About

I'm not sure if i understand you correctly, but are you saying its not good to use absolute positioning?

Looked to me like its just what i needed...
lol

Re: div Graphic Positioning and an Editor...will it do this? -- oops!

When I said:

Some browsers use div elements to make it easier for them to try to do their WYSIWYG rendering, but the results are often inconsistent from browser to browser, or can result in either overlaps or gaps.

I meant to say:

Some editors use div elements to make it easier for them to try to do their WYSIWYG rendering, but the results are often inconsistent from browser to browser, or can result in either overlaps or gaps.

Oh and i'm interested in positioning graphics/images...thats what i was going to use it for, not text

i have a christmas page of just icons/graphics...and i wanted to position them nicely...

and im not using this...'WYSIWYG'..

i might be confused here....

all i know is when i put images on a page, i usually do quite a few at a time, and its a pain adding the width and height...and if that editor does it for me...well i wanna know where that option is so i can use it...or an editor that does do it..im willing to change..i just started learning it anyway,,,

omg your right i did go to that page afterwards..i just didnt save it to my favs....geez...im out of it lol..but how did u know??

I just used Google to find a web page anywhere on the Internet that included this phrase, part of the quote you posted:

"WIDTH and HEIGHT attributes are the width and height of your graphic in pixels"

and only the page I posted the link to came up as a match.

It's not really correct to say that using div elements is a bad idea. It can work, depending on how the page is laid out, what else is on it, what font is being used for the text, how the CSS is set up, etc. I just mentioned that overlaps and gaps can result. Sometimes, even if the page designer thinks that all the text on the page is fixed in size, some or all of the text can change, even if only a little, for different viewers. When the text changes size, only items on the page that are positioned relatively will move around so they are in the correct position relative to the text.

If you have a page with no text at all, only graphics, the div elements should work fine, but you need to try using them to see if they really do what you want, especially in various browsers.

Google!..i should of known...

I was on that website reading about div positioning and then clicked on a title to the one you pulled up...same site, just more info about what i was reading and came across what i asked..

I understand now about browsers rendering pages different..it has happened to me before..my stuff seems to view better in IE vs. Firefox..but i do try to make them compatible to both....i downloaded ff...i still prefer IE tho..

Thank you for the help and advice....

oh, do you know of an editor that auto adds w/h?

I see now that my post subject line, 'div Graphic Positioning and an Editor...will it do this?'...was worded wrong...duh me..

Sorry about that...i should of put an editor that adds height and width auto...

Re: width and height specs and an Editor...will it do this?

A major problem of using div elements to position images, if they are below text, is that otherwise, if you add a few words to the text, everything can be rearranged for you automatically. In its simplest form, that's the way HTML works. If you have used to place images down somewhere in the middle of a page, and there's text above them, and you just make a minor edit to the text, the text may expand down into where you have the pictures.

In some cases, that might be a good way to go, as long as you remember to preview the page in several browsers and rearrange things if necessary every time you change the page. I think there are usually better ways to do it.

About the width & height attributes:

I think MS FrontPage automatically provides the height and width attributes for an img element. If I recall correctly, even the free editor with Netscape will do that. I don't use WYSIWYG editors often. They are ones most likely to add height & width, because of the way their interfaces work (you have to place the images, using the interface, and in many cases the editor has to go find the image and in the process it will know the size). Some good editors, not primarily WYSIWYG, must take care of this as well, I just can't think of any right now.

Re: Re: width and height specs and an Editor...will it do this?

Absolute positioning is very hard to do right. Well, I may be biased. The only times I notice it is obviously when it has gone wrong. Anyway, Sherlock has already explained why.

As for height and width attributes - there are probably lots of editors that will do it for you. But if you find it too much trouble to add them manually, I suggest you just skip them. The thing is, an editor that will do that automatically, is likely to all kinds of other **** for you, without asking if you want it or not. Perhaps not as bad as some Microsoft programs that will add "author" name, lifting info from your registration" but almost.