This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Dreamweaver FTP

I use Macromedia Dreamweaver to design my website. I am trying to find a way to use the FTP feature to upload my site, which I have ready.

I have read and put in the information displayed on http://pub35.bravenet.com/hosting/ftpclient.php, but obviously I've missed something out.

I can successfully connect, and it displays the current online files and folders in the sidebar. I click the Put Files on the sidebar, it tries to connect but after a few seconds says "An FTP Error occurred. Cannot put XXX.htm. 553-Can't open that file: permission denied" Any ideas? I'm probably missing something stupid out, but I want to have this working - it'd save me so much time.

Thanks
Ken

Browser: kenbw2@hotmail.com,3

Re: Dreamweaver FTP

It sounds like you are missing something in the setup. The usual reason for the permission denied error is that you didn't specify the folder you want to store your files in. For most FTP hosts, you simply upload everything to root directory, "/". But when you connect to Bravenet your web site is in a folder that has the same name as your web site. The root directory, "/", is not writable.

I didn't connect with DreamWeaver exactly the same as you, but I didn't have any problem. Try this link to my Using FTP help page. Item 7 covers uploading with Macromedia DreamWeaver 8. It may show you where the problem is.

Ken, I had a similar problem and the solution was provided by a regular forum contributor: what you need to do after you connect, but before you begin transfer, is to open your destination folder.

Seems to have worked! thanks for the instructions, I needed a site like that which showed you at every step

Kenneth

Browser: kenbw2@hotmail.com,3

i just use a seperate program to run my ftp files... dont know why, but is just simple for me.

MACMAC
before you begin transfer, is to open your destination folder? with what do you open the folder?

I can log onto the server I just can't post to it.

any help would be great
B

I've never used Dreamweaver's FTP feature so I cant specifically address the appearance/functionality of that particular program. But most FTP programs have common features, one being a "two-pane" arrangement. After connection has been established, your destination folder should be (usually) in the right pane. Simply double-click on that folder, then start the transfer (upload) process. If all else fails I would suggest a third party FTP, I use FTP explorer, a free download at FTPx.com.