This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Anyone know how to hide the address for download page in title bar?

I have a PDF file that is downloaded only after payment, but the address is showing up in the title bar on the download page. I need to know how I can either change it to other words, or hide it altogether, so it doesn't get passed around without being paid for first. I tried making a new folder in Bravenet just for that particular pdf file to live in already.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, since everything else is up, linked correctly, and ready to go except for this one little snafu.
Thanks, Barb

Re: Anyone know how to hide the address for download page in title bar?

You can't hide the address of the page. All you can do is set up password protection on it so that only those who know the password can access it. With purchasers you may want to set this up using a database with expiring passwords uniquely allocated to each purchaser so that they can access the page for a limited time.

To handle the PDF this way you would need to build a server side front end that performs the password validation and loads the PDF as part of the page content without referencing the actual PDF address in the generated page source.

I found it much easier to have a back end on the payment process that emails the purchaser the files they have purchased without their having to go and get them.

Re: Re: Anyone know how to hide the address for download page in title bar?

Thanks Stephen,

Maybe I'll give up and do the email route with an autoresponder. I tried the url direct that Support told me about, but it still showed up, only shorter LOL! I'm going to try opening it in a pop up window- you can choose whether to show the location or not on the window (location=no), that takes off the address bar. It looked like it would work.

Barb

WooHoo!!!!
I finally found a way to deliver my PDF ebook without revealing the actual source of the page thanks to Support and a lot of internet browsing. Here's what I did - it might help someone else from banging their heads on the computer desk like I was tempted to do LOL!!

First: I made a new name for my Thank You page with a lot of letters and numbers (wrote that down where I could find it again- won't make that mistake twice.)

Second: I got a short URL for the download page that hid my original file. This is a Bravenet item.

Third: When someone clicks on my download button after paying through ClickBank,the PDF file opens in a new window, which does not have anything but the Title bar. They can still save the file and print with the PDF toolbar, resize the window and scroll around but they can't view the source code.

Here's the code for the new window that I found (minus the periods on the addresses so you can view it):

<.A HREF="#" ="window.open(
'.http://PUT THE URL ADDRESS HERE','1932','width=694,height=407,directories=no,location=no,menubar=no,scrollbar=yes,status=yes,toolbar=no,resizable=yes,left=50,top=50, screenx=100,screeny=200'):return false"><.img src="http://PUT YOUR BUTTON IMAGE HERE>

It worked for me. If anyone sees a problem with the code, please tell me. I got it from a forum at MyTheme.com. Hope it helps one of you in this forum.

Barb

Yes, there is a problem with that code, but it's mainly an ethical problem rather than a technical one.

If someone happens to be surfing the web with scripting disabled, and if they can get past your "purchase" requirement and get up to that link, nothing will happen when they click it.

So, as long as people with scripting disabled are unable to pay you any money, you are OK. If not, they will be really annoyed if you collect money from them and do not deliver your product.

You need to check that out. Disable scripting (as perhaps 10-20% of your visitors may have done) and try to make it thru your site.

Thanks Sherlock, I'll check that out. What benefit is there for having scripting disabled on your computer? I'm new at this ecommerce game and am learning as I go. I do have a link on my site for customers that have trouble opening the PDF to email me so I can send the ebook to them as an attachment. I'll add the scripting disabled info in the troubleshooting section.
Barb

Many people surf the web with scripting disabled, because it cuts way down on pop-ups, pop-unders, and other annoyances like sites that grab the browser window and resize it, not to mention much more serious threats.

Last year Bill Gates advised people using Internet Explorer to turn off scripting for a time (several days or weeks) until MS could plug a serious security breach. I'm sure many people enjoyed the respite, and just never got around to turning it back on.

Hi Barb,

I'd be interested to see the way you've done this for real as I believe anyone seriously wanting to find your pdf would have no trouble in doing so.

Have you tried this in firefox with the developers toolbar installed for instance?

Regards

Gary

Hi Gary,
No, all I wanted to do was hide the address bar to my file, and this works well for delivery of the ebook for those not-too-technical people who just want to view the source code. I'm sure others could find it if they wanted to steal it and need the info that badly. I like to think most people are basically honest (it's nice in my little world - LOL!)

Barb