This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Password Gate, site protected needs user detection script

I have a simple one page geocities website. I want a username and a password for people to enter it. Im using bravenet.com Password Gate for the password and login. I set up a page for it. I logged in with a valid user name and password, it took me to the website. But, I can just enter the website html address (the one i want protected), and it will show up. What i need is some sort of script to detect if 1. the user is a member and 2. if the user is a member, that person needs to be allowed to view the website.

So basically i just need a script the detects if the user has a valid login and password and if not, that person needs to be rejected.

Thanks in advance,
Epley

Browser: Epley_w@hotmail.com,3

Re: Password Gate, site protected needs user detection script

The function you want is available on a Yahoo! Web Hosting Starter account, but not on GeoCities. Yahoo! doesn't allow you to use password protection on a free GeoCities account, per their Terms of Service. You have to find something that works on the server, not client-side logic such as JavaScript.

What about Bravenet, you ask?

I don't know if Bravenet offers HTTP Authentication, but with a Premium Hosting account, you could set up what you want, using PHP/MySQL. It will take some effort, but as you say, you need a script.