This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
No Graphics

This is probably a pretty basic question but bare with me.I have uploaded all my files to my website. But when i type in my address all i get is a page with text and no graphics. I put all the graphics in one folder along with the index page if i type www.mysite.com/folder/index.htm everything works but if i type www.mysite.com i just get the text. what do i have to do to get everything by just typing in www.mysite.com Thankyou

Re: No Graphics

Someone may be able to answer, if you give us the correct address of your site. If you actually have to access a folder (or subdirectory) to see your page, as you describe, then we would need its address also.

Basically, if you share information with us, someone will be able to help.

Lloyd,

Why are you putting your index file in two different places? There isn't anything wrong with having multiple index files in different folders. In fact, it's quite common. But you need to realize that they are all different files, and referenced differently.

When a visitor uses your URL, "www.mysite.com", the server, by default, looks for a file named "index.html" or "index.htm", in the root directory of your web site. The one you placed in "folder" is considered a completely different file.

If everything works when you use "www.mysite.com/folder/index.htm", this is indicating you have a image reference problem. The tags in that HTML file probably looks something like this:

But for the index file at "www.mysite.com" to see the same image, the tag would have to be modified to look like this:

Or you could include the full URL to the images:

yep, what Martin said, your best bet, when using folders on bravehost, is to use the whole url, that way you guarantee every browser will be able to see what you want them too.

I don't have two index files, but I do have folders for different sections of my site, I use the whole link because I find that most of the time putting "/folder/pagename.html" doesnt work to well.

Maybe this is a personel thing, but I don't recommend using the full URL for any of your local references. Your browser knows were you are and from there, everything is relative. I do all of my development and testing on my local PC and only use relative references for all local pages and images. This allows me to fully test my pages on my local PC and then upload them without having to touch any of the links. That is of course, as long as I put then in the right folder. I have over 500 files and folders on my site, and don't have any of the links or references.

The chief advantage of using relative links is that, I can take my entire web site and move it to another server, without the need to adjust any of the links.

Thanks again. I uploaded all my files to the root directory and everything worked fine. It took quite a long time though. Is there a simple way?

I am using Front Page to make my site. Is there something i can do with FP to speed up the process?

but Martin, how do you link back, for example:

I have all the competitors pages in a seperate folder called "teams"... now how would you link them back to the original section? Or do you put all of your files in folders?

No, putting all my files in one folder would be a disaster. Relative linking is not too difficult to understand, but it can get a little messy, if you don't have a well defined structure to your site.

Say, for example, that you had a folder named "teams" in your web site's root directory. And, in this folder you have subfolders for each team, like "Team_A", "Team_B", etc.. From your root directory, you might link to the "Team_A" roster page with:

Team A Roster

From the "Team A Roster" page you might link to the "Team B Roster" roster page with something like this:

Team B Roster

The "../" references up one folder. So the above link says, go up one folder, which is the "teams" folder, and then go to the "Team_B" folder to get your page. Your browser will then change it's base href to the "Team_B" folder. Then your references are relative from there.

To go up more than one folder, the "../" references can be strung together. To reference up two folders you could use "../../". If, in your web sites root folder, you have a "images" folder with a image named "team_b_logo.gif" that you want to use on your "Team_B" roster page. You might create a tag on that page that looks like this:

You probably don't want to go any further than that, without it getting really confusing. There is usually enough space on your web site to keep multiple copies of your images, and make the referencing easier. You just run into a problem if you need to update it. Then you have to find all the copies.

But like I said, you need to have a well defined site structure. My site is set up so that all the pages have the same relativity to each other. So the links to one group of pages is the same from all groups of pages. This makes it simple for me to move from any page to any other page, or access any image. None of this stuff is rocket science, but it does take a while to absorb it all.

I have another question thats a bit off topic. I am trying to make my links open in a new window. I am doing this with FP. I set the target frame to _blank but when it opens up it is in the same window. I looked through the code and as far as i can see it says blank so why isnt it working.

Lloyd

I can't see your link, but it sounds like you are doing the correct thing. A basic text link to another site would look like this:

Link To Somewhere

To force this to open in a new window, a target attribute is added like this:

target="_blank">Link To Somewhere

Check your HTML code and see if it looks similar. You might want to give us a URL of the page in question, or a test page, so we can see for ourselves.

Heres some more helpful information on coding different link types ...my website...
Link Codes

Thankyou all so much for your help.I will look at the link codes in depth a bit later, a bit busy right now. I will keep you posted how i made out.

Re: Re: No Graphics

Still no luck. The url is bupcfamily.com
Have a look. Thankyou

No luck yet. The URL is bupcfamily.com
Have a look tell me what you think. Thankyou

Well, you do have several problems with your web page.

First, I counted at least 27 instances of the exact same Javascript code. Of the first 600 lines of code, only the first 25 or 30 are really necessary. You may need to switch to the source code mode, in FrontPage, and delete all the extra code.

As far as the target attribute goes, I don't see any of your links with a target attribute of "_blank". Every one of them has a target attribute of "_parent", which is simply going to open the link in your parent frameset. Since your not using frames, it will just open in your current window. FrontPage should have a way of viewing the link attributes. You should then be able to select the targeting you want. As a last resort, you could switch to the source code mode and manually change the link attributes.

It would be wise of you to follow Martin's advice and clean up the code on that page.

I see that you have the following tag in the head section of that page:

So all you should need to do, if you have read Martin's post above, is to remove the target="_parent" attribute from the links on the page. That "base" statement in the head section will establish, as a default, that all links should open in new pages. (Many of your visitors may not appreciate this, but you can deal with that after you see how it is accepted.) The way you have the links on the page coded, the links override that target="_blank" attribute and so all those links will just open in the current window, as Martin explained.

For future reference, it would be good if you made a slight change to the coding of that base element, as follows:

This will not change the way the code works, but it improves the chances that the code on the page will be standards-compliant.

Good Evening.

I have changed all my targets to _blank and still it opens in the same window. I manualy changed everyone of them so i would be sure. I had them set to _parent because at least i had the back button.When i set it to _blank it still opens in the same window but without the back button. I have it set to _blank at present. Have a look and tell me what you think. Thankyou.

You probably need to do a "Refresh" (or reload).

When I visited your page, all the links I tried except for one opened in a new window.

The link for "Youth Photos" still has the _parent code.

Remember, you're making extra work.

All you need to do is take the "target" code off every link that you want to open in a new window, because you have that "base" attribute in the head section.

You don't need target="_blank" on each one -- that's redundant, and it's not really good coding practice.

If you have a link on that page and you want it to open in the same window, you should use

target="_parent"

on that one link.

OK?

Lloyd,

It sounds like you may be using your browser with its window maximized, and you can't tell when it opens a new window because it's just on top of the window you're already looking at. That's the only way I can think of that the Back function would seem to disappear.

When your browser opens a new window, the Back button will not function, because it's a new window.

I reloaded the browser and it works fine. I didnt have the window maximised i dont think but it works fine now. Im thinking that was the whole problem all along because i did have all the targets set to blank earlier and they wernt working so i reset them to parent so i could get the back button. I will have to remember that for the future. Thanks again

Lloyd,

As Sherlock says, the only reason for the back button to go away is because a new window was opened. The best I can tell, this is a non-problem. I didn't try every one of your links, but the ones I did opened up in a new window. I tried it with Netscape and Internet Explorer.

I tried it with Netscape also and all the text appeared much smaller and on the menu on the left i have a white border under every cell that didnt show up in Netscape. Why is this?