This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Frame Coding

Frame Coding

I'm having a few coding problems with my site. I'm a beginning programmer and I'm working with Javascript, HTML/XHTML, and CSS. I'm hand typing the code on all my site. I've been having problems with frames. Here is the code I used,

------------------------------------------------------
(i changed urls to google to prevent over publicity to my private forum but it should still work. The code is valid. I tested it as a HTML file in my browser.) But whenever I display the part of the site where the frames are all I get is a blank page. View source shows the code, it just won't do frames. A little help please?
Sorry to make a new one. The last one's mess up with HTML coding made the new coments unviewable.

Re: Frame Coding

You would have problems on a free Bravehost site as they explicitly tell you that frames are not supported.

Peter's simple answer is really all that is necessary, but here is a little explanation on why you get a blank screen.

On free sites, the server attempts to key on the tag to insert the advertising banners. The banners are inserted as a complete HTML document, within your document. But a frames front end does not have, or need, a . All it has is a and structure. When the server encounters a HTML document without a , it simply inserts the advertising banners in front of the entire document. So instead of having a HTML document, within your document, which allows both of them to display, you have a complete HTML document in front of your document. When your browser encounters the tag at the end of the banner code, it stops interpreting the code and displaying.

So basically frames are not supported and I can't use them? Well that screws all my site plans. Guess I'll have to use other stuff now. I wonder if some other free server offers better support? I liked bravenet completely until now.

It's not really a support issue. Bravenet supports their free web site offerings with banners. There are other free web services that either, do not put banners in your pages, or allow you to suppress the banners, but you pay in other ways. For example, "0catch.com". You can include a tag to eliminate the banners, but they also use popups. Eliminating the banners causes the popups to be more aggressive. Which is worse, popups or banners?

Frames are nice to play with, but are seldom really necessary. The overhead of trying to make sure everything opens in the proper frame, is usually just a headache. There is really no such thing as free. If you want to do something more than a free site provides, pay for hosting.

Re: Re: Frame Coding

Ocatch pop-ups are VERY aggressive. I stopped using them when they started serving three per page view.

I get 50 meg ad free with frames permitted (but not used) in return for using a dial up connection at my phone company's local rate. I just have to remember use it at least once a month.