This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
code to stop photos from being linked or downloded.

code to stop photos from being linked or downloded.

Re: code to stop photos from being linked or downloded.

If you have a free site, hot linking is not allowed. If you have a paid site, you should have a configuration item that lets you enable/disable hot linking on your site.

When your site is visable to a visitor, your web page and all of it's images are already downloaded to their computer. You can put some Javascript on your pages that will annoy your visitors, but there is no real way to prevent them from saving your images to their disk drive.

I only want to stop people from right clicking and saving or linking to other sites.

I have a basic package iwht barvenet wheres this hot linking button ??

This same question is asked at least twice a week o these forums. My guess is that the old posts don't show up when someone does a search.

The right mouse button on my PC is mine, not yours. Disabling it is not only rude, but does not prevent visitors from copying web pages, your images, or linking to your images. The simple fact that I can see them in my browser means that they are already on my PC and I can do what I want with them.

If you attempt to disable the right click, it only makes the visitor think that there is something valuable on your site and want to copy everything. So unless you know a way of disabling the menu items "File --> Save As" and "View --> Source". There isn't much you can do other than making sure you valuable images have watermarks, or some other way of identifying them. Go to Google.com and do a search on the string "image theft prevention". It will give you more information about what you can, and can't, do to for this problem.

My paid hosting is not with Bravenet, so I don't know where your hotlinking configuration item is. The Bravenet package descriptions say "Remote Linking" is allowed on paid sites only, so I can only assume there is a way to shut it off also. Mine is right on the first page of my user manager. Maybe someone with a paid Bravenet account can answer this item.

Disable "no right click" scripts the easy way

If you are getting annoyed at all of these misguided people who try to interfere with your use of your browser by attempting to block the rightr mouse button then you might consider switching the the free browser from Opera which disregards those scripts.

Alternatively if you want to stick with your current browser then visit the above link and grab a copy of my "disable no right click scripts" bookmarklet. When someone blocks the right mouse button you simply select the entry in your favorites/bookmarks to disable the script and get your menu back.

i couldnt care less if its rude i just wont to minmise the amount of noobs from leeching by bandwidth. I dont care if its stored in there cache at leaset they wont redownload my page evertime they come back.

Anyway ill get answers some where else.

It really doesn't matter what you do. Any screen capture prog will do exactly that, 'capture the screen'. Watermarks can be easily edited out and any large images can be captured in segments and pieced back together using any paint prog.
So I guess that any image or logo or whatever that is used on the Internet is going to be "public domain".

cheers
Website Url http://skizziks.bravehost.com/

Disabling Right clicking does not stop you copying text or saving Images.

I wrote about this in my website.

To save an image were right clicking is disabled, open WINDOWS Explorer and drag the file across into a folder. OR drag the picture up into the address bar, and then right click it and click save as.

This gets round ALL watermarks.

To copy text, Highlight it and click on CTRL C, then paste it as normal.

I dont know if it is possible to totaly stop hotlinking though.

Ussually there are ways round everything.