This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Templates

Hello, I am looking into buying the PRO templates. Since I already have a website created could i use those there? Another thing, could I choose a different template for a different page/link on my webiste? cause it does not allow you to do this if you use the wizard. Thank You.

Re: Templates

To start with, no, templates can not be used with the Website Wizards. The Wizards are limited to the layouts and themes contained within the Wizards.

Before you buy, know what you are getting into. There are almost 200 free templates available in the Template Gallery. The Pro Templates do not offer any real advantage and, if you don't know what your doing, your just as stuck as with a free one. Try working with the free ones before you purchase anything.

A template is nothing more than a HTML file with a basic web page structure. This can include header areas, main content areas, sidebar areas for links, etc.. More complicated templates might include button images for linking, logos or background images, and style sheets. For these templates, there will be multiple files.

When you choose a template, you need to pick one that reflects your abilities. I'm not talking about just your knowledge of HTML and CSS, but the existance of, and your ability, to use multiple applications to create the site you want. There is no one application that does everything.

Bravenet provides a Visual and Text editor, available in the File Manager. If you are careful to chose a template that doesn't use images for logos, banners, backgrounds, and buttons, you can do all of your page editing on-line. You can upload your own images and insert them any where you want. But note that, Bravenet does not provide any graphic editing capabilities, so you will have to use them as is.

A better way to create a website, using a template, is to download the template to your local PC, create/edit your pages there, and then upload the files to your web site. Bravenet's Template Gallery offers you the option of either uploading a template to your site, or downloading it to your PC. There are many free, and not so free, web page design applications on the net that will let you import the template to work on it.

Take a look at Nvu.com, for a good free editor, or CoffeeCup.com, if you don't mind spending a little cash. If you have images to edit, like logos or button images, you might try IrfanView.com for a good free graphic editor. You may have something already on your PC to do the same job. Almost every web page design application has a built in upload capability. My Using FTP help page show the upload setup for several different applications.