This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How do I text link to places on the same page?

for example:
http://ataatailpha.bravehost.com/summary.htm
I want to link the yellow to the bold red. What html will do that for me?
Thank you so much!
Ata

Re: How do I text link to places on the same page?

To create links to a link within the page, currently two HTML tags need to be used.

The first tag
Top is different in that it has a # which represents a name statement. When the user clicks on Top, the computer would then go to the name tag, if found.

The second tag is where the first tag will reference when clicked.

You change "top" to your preference

Thanks so much!

it didn't work...? I do not know why?
I understood the link to the top. But I want the yellow font to link to the bold red on the page prvided:
http://ataatailpha.bravehost.com/summary.htm

Right now, there are no links on your page at all -- perhaps you took them off because you thought they were not working.

When you have just a small amount of text on a page, links like that may seem like they are not working when they actually are.

When you follow a link to a specific point on a page, if there are hundreds of lines on the page, above and below the line you're headed for, then you will probably think the link is working great, because the web browser will position the contents of the page in the browser window so the line you just linked to is right at the top of the window.

It always wants to place that destination point right at the top of the browser window, but it will never scroll below the bottom of the page in order to do so.

You just need to play around a little with it, to see how it works. But if you are viewing your page in a large window, something like 1280x1024, you may not see anything happen when you click a link, or you may find that the destination point is not near the top of the window, just visible somewhere down in the middle of the window. That's just the way it works.

Ron is right......i made an example for you on my home page Ata...

At the very bottom, in the right column is the word,
'welcome'

When that is 'clicked', its to bring you back to the word 'Welcome' that is at the top of my page, in the left hand column.

Since there is very little content on my site, its very subtle....you can hardly tell its 'moved you', for want of a better word lol...click it a few times to see...

try it out..

btw, heres how i used the code...

WELCOME

that is the top 'Welcome', i just enclosed it in that code..
------------------
Then at the bottom 'welcome', i enclosed it with this code..

welcome

You can't leave the # out..

Note the code SLacKerBaBe posted in the previous message -- it's a good idea to get in the habit of always placing the closing "a" tag -- it was omitted in one place in the earlier example.

oops..that was probably why it didn't work for him..

I don't think leaving out the closing "a" tag when you're defining a "name" will cause a problem -- at least I don't think it would prevent the links from working. I tried it in a local page and it seemed to work fine, at least with IE, and I think this may be fairly common coding practice (among some), so I think the other major browsers probably also tolerate it. I just was concerned when I noticed it, which wasn't right away, and I was glad to see you included the closing tag in the later example.

I still think the small number of lines on the "test" page was probably what made it seem that the links weren't working. But time will tell.