This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Tried to fix "only IE" problem, links don't work anymore

I'm just learning HTML and my site was somewhat ready but then I wanted to try to make it better so that other browsers could see it too. By far only IE showed it properly.

BUT then my friend told me to change the codes of index, frame and tyyli.css and now none of the links are working! And she doesn't know what the problem is. We can only see a blank page (at least with IE). I know a lot of people hate IE but I'd like to fix this problem. I haven't altered other "old" codes ("elokuva" etc.) Their codes are like this one:
http://myy.slk.fi/~s0400037/elokuva.html
I'd be happier with "only working with IE" than this situation!

What should I do? If you can help, please try, I'd appreciate it. Thank you in advance and sorry for the misspellings!

Re: Tried to fix "only IE" problem, links don't work anymore

Does your host support frames?

I'm asking, because I made a copy of your page, changing all the URLs from fani.html to http://myy.slk.fi/~s0400037/fani.html and so on.

I wanted to see what changes could make it work in Explorer (Works just fine in Opera).

Turned out no changes were needed. Worked like a charm.

Why bother, anyway? There is an idea going around that frames are better because they are more "advanced"
(pronounced Image hosted by Photobucket.com)

Well, they are not better, they just create problems and more problems. Change your links so that all references to targets, etc. are gone, then copy the code for those links and the banner. Paste it into each page.

No frames, no pain. Problem solved.

If you later need to change the number or nature of links, there are plenty of editors that will allow you to edit all your pages in one operation.

There is a oddity in Internet Explorer that will not display the contents of a Iframe, if you specify a frame border style. I tried all the possible border styles, and ways of setting the border style, and every time the content of the Iframe would blank out. Make the following change to your CSS file, and your frame will show in IE and Netscape

#T {
width: 635px;
height: 265px;
overflow: auto;
/*border: 1px dotted #000000;*/
border: 1px #000000;
}

If you want a dotted border around the Iframe, add it to the

that the Iframe is wrapped in. For example:

Duh!...

"changing all the URLs".....
except for the stylesheet, of course.

Thank you both for the advice!

Martin: I really appreciate your efforts. I'll try that one more time when I go to school again. Now I already changed those three codes (index/frame/tyyli) back to original "only IE" version. There also is some things wrong with tyyli.css and index.html.

Corwings: Thanks, maybe you are right about "why bother". Now I need to either fix this(original) index-code and css-problem, if I can't - and it seems that I'm not yet bright enough to VALID HTML/CSS -I should go back to simple basic frames. But no pain, no gain. I want to learn, so I had to at least try