This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Creating a site in Dreamweaver and previewing in Firefox

I'm designing a new site in Dreamweaver and previewing it in IE and Firefox. It's not published yet since I am in the creating stage. The problem I am having is that when I preview it in Firefox, the Flash buttons are to far at the bottom of the page. It looks fine in IE. I have Windows Media Player playing a short MP3 clip and I want a space then the buttons....Not sure what the problem is...I guess I should post my HTML code..nothing is up on the server yet...everything is still on my hard drive. Hope someone can help me along. I posted the html code earlier in my last thread, but it wants to load all the html in Firefox and I can't read what I typed. Anyway that's my prob.

Re: Creating a site in Dreamweaver and previewing in Firefox

Upload the files. Then tell us where.

I'll post the files later...I do have a screen shot of how each looks in IE and Firefox if I was able to post pics.

I uploaded the screenshots to my Yahoo photos. I'll upload the files when I get time or whatever later. here's the link to the album below
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mooky9669/album?.dir=/d0e0

Re: Re: Creating a site in Dreamweaver and previewing in Firefox

One guess is that it has something to do with the music. Which you should get rid of anyway, as the file is far too big for background music. Leave a link for those who want to download it. But without the code, who can tell?

Talking of code: There is a setting you need to find in Dreamweaver. The code in the other message is full of references to your harddrive.

For instance:
/C|/Documents%20and%20Settings/Mook/Desktop/DYS.com/pic.JPG

That code should definitely read:

pic.JPG

Re: Re: Re: Creating a site in Dreamweaver and previewing in Firefox

OK...I am not sure why it has anything to do with the music...it's not the finished edited clip, just one I tried out and gonna edit later. I want the music to start up when they log on to the site. They have the option to stop it when they want. This is a sit for my dad whose a singer and I want the audio to play for a bunch of people who will be getting the site as potential buyers of his show. It looks fine in IE which I don't understand. Still confused on why it leaves a gap between the player and buttons in Firefox. Wish I could post the html code here without it loading everything on the forum.

Also, it references everything to the hard drive because everything IS on the HD and not uploaded to the server. it does say pic.JPG in Dreamweaver when u click the file folder and select what image to use, just prob doesn't say that in the code, but in the file box next to the folder to click to find the pic it does.

Re: Re: Creating a site in Dreamweaver and previewing in Firefox

Well, yes, I realize that the files are on your hard drive. I don't use Dreamweaver myself, so I don't know how you do this. But Dreamweaver isn't some bit of 2$ shareware, so I'm sure there is a setting that allows you to use relative, rather than absolute URLs. (Well, perhaps an address on your harddrive isn't strictly speaking URL, but anyway).

What I mean is that if your page is in the main directory, and the image is in the main directory, the address should be pic.JPG. That way, everything will keep working without massive editing when you upload. If the image is in a subdirectory, then the code should reflect that, but without dragging in higher levels like c:Documents and Settings

I just upload the files to the server via ftp and then change the pic to the url where the pic is uploaded. Anyway, maybe I'll eventually figure out the prob.