This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
troubleshooting index file

i'm having trouble with the html page. I used to have my codes on geocities, but i'm moving them here. I copied and paste them and did the whole link frame thing, everything works when i open each file, but the whole website doesn't work. When i click on "index.html" to view my whole website this is what is shows:

>>

i really don't understand what's happening

Re: troubleshooting index file

ugh, now i fixed the code, and it won't let me visit my homepage!! and it's saved as index.html i even tried index.htm! bravenet hates me!

What kind of error message do you get? What is the URL? What are you using to edit your pages? You will never get any help, if you don't give us a little more information.

i deleted the website. I used CSS and frames. When i clicked on the home page to see the whole website it would only show this:

>>

thats all

That's still not a lot of help, but it does say that there may not be anything wrong with the index at all. A frames based page needs to source other HTML files for each frame. The other files could be missing, in the wrong folder, or simply named wrong. The display of a >> might be saying there is a incomplete tag, missing quote mark, or errent comment. There are so many things it could be, but seeing the source code would be the first step. Otherwise, all we can give are guesses.

i will try again today, and make sure everything is coded correctly. If i still have problems, I will post the website so you can take a look at it. By the way, how do you make your website available for all to see?

thanks for ur help

here's the website..as u can see, it won't show anything.

http://guildofrespect.bravehost.com/index.html

Making your website available for all to see is pretty straight forward. When a visitor uses your URL, the server, by default, looks for a file named "index.html" or "index.htm". If the server finds one, or the other, it is sent to the visitors browser. This is what's considered your home page. The rest of your pages can be named almost anything, because they are specifically referenced from your navigation menu.

Let's say you have a test page, named "test_index.html", that you wanted to have someone look at. All you need to do is include the name in your URL, like:

http://www.mywebsite.com/test_index.html

thanks! And it's still not working. I checked the code and everything, and there's nothing wrong with it. Do i have to upload the files from my computer?

Absolutely, everything that you want to be seen on the internet must be uploaded to your web site. The internet can not see your PC hard drive. You can use the "upload tool", or almost any FTP utility you might have, to copy your files from your PC to your web site.

oh okay then i think that's the problem. I just copied and paste the code so i have to upload every file i want on my website from my PC right?

Well, I finally had the time to take a look at the site you listed, "http://guildofrespect.bravehost.com/index.html". When you are creating any kind of web page you need to pay very close attention to syntax. Semicolons need to be in the right place and quotes need to be in pairs. If they are not, important parts of your site will be disabled.

That page you listed is a frames setup. With a frames based site, there are other things you need to watch for. The page with your frame set does not need a . Including your frameset in a and tag pair will get you a blank page. Sound familiar?

Rather than spend more time on explanation, the following is how your "index.html" page should look. The quotes have been fixed, the scroll atrtibute was fixed and the extra tags and brackets were removed.

Respect Website

However, the first thing you are going to notice is that, there are banners in every one of your frames. Bravenet does not support frames on free sites. There is no way to suppress the banners so, because each frame is a separate HTML file, each frame get it's own set of banners. After all your work, you will have to go back and rewrite your pages without frames.