This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
adding google search HTML Question? UTF-8?

I wanted to add the Google Search to my site. There are two options one it to add just the google search the other will also search my site....

The instructions for adding my site to the searches says:

Note: If your page is not encoded as UTF-8, you should change the value of both fields to match your page's encoding.[/b]

I have NO CLUE? is there something that I can add to my pages that makes them UTF-8 or what would I chaange the value of both fields to match my encoding? Frankly I do not understand what encoding I have used--if any???

And if I have some kind of encoding--is this UTF-8 better then whatever I do have....and should I change something on all my pages to fit this 'better' encoding?

????????????

Thanks to anyone who is able to help!
Anna

Re: adding google search HTML Question? UTF-8?

Line three of your page source reads:

so you are using iso-8859-1 encoding instead of utf-8.

....so maybe you know What difference it makes? Encoding is a new one on me?

Is this just something I can change on that line of code? and is one way better then another?

Thanks,
Anna

Re: Re: adding google search HTML Question? UTF-8?

Character encoding determines what character displays for which codes in your web page source. Unless you are using characters supported by one encoding and not by another it wont make any difference which you use. All of the regular English letters and numbers are the same in all encodings.

Well--It looks like my encoding tag came with my template.... ???? I am not sure if I have messed up everything but....I change all of them to UTF-8 Hopefully it is all good?

Thanks for all the Help!

Anna (posting this as HappyMomAnna now as I am not the only Anna here!)

i'm putting in same code, but don't see in my code any definitive encoding type used on my pages... i use whatever the default bravenet code type is, i guess. anyway, guess my question is the same as the above: what should i replace the "value" to when it states...

any help appreciated...
g