This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Help with installing OSC

My programer asked me to ask member of the bravenet forum if there is anwere to the following question:

-------

I tried to install OSC (Open Source Commerce) on your hosting server and I received this error.

register_globals is disabled in php.ini, please enable it!

That means your hosting company (bravenet) has not enabled registered globals
within your PHP server. Ask them if you can enable registered globals
for php. I looked on your logged in bravenet account and did not see
anywhere that I could enable globals. They may use an excuse that
allowing registered globasl threatens security, but truthfully, most
hosting companies allow it.
------
If someone has an awere to this question, could you also email me with an anwere at gewbkk@mac.com

Thank You for any assistance.

Re: Help with installing OSC

The forum is not monitored by Bravenet. Most Bravenet users do not use PHP so you may have a long wait to get an answer. I would recommend asking Bravenet direct.

Re: Re: Help with installing OSC

Enabling Register Globals is a major security risk which is why PHP4.3 onwards turned it off. Any script that requires register globals on has been written by someone who doesn't know how to program properly and should be avoided as the code changes required to read in the posted variables with register globals off is very minor and anyone who can't update their script to do that has probably done lots of other stupid things in their code.

I would hope that Bravenet would deny any request to enable register globals because of the adverse effect it would have on all of the other members when the hackers start abusing your code to launch all sorts of nasty attacks.