This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
I want to deny hotlinking

ok..i think people are hotlinking off my site and eating up my bandwidth like crazy!!!

byt 5am this morning 41% of my bandwidth was used up..that is insane!

I have premium service and want to know how to deny hotlinking...

anyhelp with a cod would be apprecited

Browser: probonoprobongo@yahoo.com,3

Re: I want to deny hotlinking

Your main page has a 260 kilobyte animated gif that is too wide for the screen. Among your photos, I found one that was 2560 x 1706 pixels (in other words, I cannot view more than about a ninth at a time) and 1.1 megabytes.

I don't think anyone is hotlinking to your files, for the obvious reason that such files will cripple any page that attempts to load them. I have a very fast connection, but need a bigger harddisk. Files like that tend to crash my browser.

Until you get a graphics program and fix your files, bandwidth won't matter. For all intents and purposes you don't have a webpage now. At least as far as anyone with a dial-up connection is concerned.

30 kilobytes is a good maximum size for an image on the web. That is if you are just displaying that one image and not much else. For a webpage, aim for about 75 kilobytes (including images and any other files)

ok thank you for the advice and i can work on that...

but why would this problem just start two days ago..i ahve done nothing different to the site in about a week

Re: Re: I want to deny hotlinking

More visitors? But of course, I don't know that nobody is hotlinking. I suppose someone might hotlink without checking file size.

But first fix the file sizes. Then see if bandwidth is a problem. The obvious do-it-yourself cure for bandwidth theft is to rotate your images a bit. That is, you rename your images, while assigning their old names to something else. A graphic saying "The owner of this site is a thief", for instance.

thank you very much for your help...i appreciate you taking the time!!!

Re: Re: Re: I want to deny hotlinking

I have never done any measurements of bandwidth taken by search engines spidering but I know that my site gets spdered daily by Google during the early hours and usually by at least 2 other search engines.