This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Can I do this...?

I know absolutely nothing about website publishing. So far, I've just guessed at what I've done.

I have my hosting and domain through bravenet.com...at least, I guess that is what I call what I paid for.

I do not like the appearance of my website very much. I did create a site with MS word, saving the file as an HTML document that I like more.

Is there a way to upload and use this file as my new website without having to pay for hosting elsewhere? If so, how do I do it and how do I edit it without having to upload ALL of it each time?

Re: Can I do this...?

There is no worse program known to man when it comes to creating webpages than Word. There is a setting that goes with the Save as HTML function that lets you choose between absolutely horrid messy code and something ten times worse.

Uploading isn't a problem. Getting it to work in a sensible manner probably would be.

Instead, learn basic html. Contrary to popular belief, it is very easy, and you can do it in Notepad.

Thanks...but I don't know how I could learn HTML or where to get started...and in the meantime, but site isn't going to get to looking any better any faster.

Is there anywhere else I can find an "easy to use" program (or whatever I need) to publish a site that looks good also.

Also - since I paid $XX for a year of hosting through bravenet to include my domain name...can I use this domain name elsewhere/or can I use a different program to create my site, then host through bravenet still?

Re: Re: Can I do this...?

Yes, you can use whatever you like. But there is no program out there that you won't need to learn how to use. HTML is the easiest option.

You can learn it at Htmlite.

Of course, if you have a page created in Word, you will think HTML is very complicated. I created three identical pages once. One picture, one line of text. The code for all three pages is at Geocities.

Mandi, I would like to add to what Corwings has eloquently advised: take a little time and familiarize yourself with HTML. An entire new world will open up to you, and you will be able to "break the bonds" of wizards and templates. Aside from the excellent "Html lite" tutorial referenced by Corwings, another is www.W3schools.com. Each of these are self-paced, informative, and even fun.

Learning HTML is very easy. It takes you not more than two hours to learn basics of html coding. Chami.com provides a very good HTML editor. You can download it for HTML coding.