This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Image Tags Using Bravenet File Manager

I have been working on my Image Tags in the Bravenet File Manager on my pages.

I want to know HOW the correct way to code the image Height and Width should be done? As I have been looking at my Image Html code I Have noticed that in several cases more then one thing appears to be showing:

some of my image tags say a lot of different things in one tag?

Example: (remove the * and add < >)

**IMG style="WIDTH: 64px; HEIGHT: 42px" height=36 src="http://happymomanna.com/myPictures/myicon.gif" width=63 border=0 **

This tag seems to have three different widths???
Email: anna@happymomanna.com

Example Replace ** with < >}

**IMG style="WIDTH: 64px; HEIGHT: 42px" height=36 src="http://happymomanna.com/myPictures/myicon.gif" width=63 border=0**

I could be wrong but that seems to be showing three different width attributes?

What is the best way to give the height and width attributes? And does every image need to have this info in order to load well on browsers?

Anna

Re: Image Tags Using Bravenet File Manager

Am I right in assuming that you started out with Wizard, and are now changing over to write your own HTML?

If so, I applaud the decision. However, I think you will save yourself a lot of time if you simply rebuild the page from scratch, rather than messing with old the old codes.

Actually, I don't see more than two width attributes in that code. But a couple of height attributes as well. The important thing (for most images) is that they should match reality. If the picture is 64 wide, use 64. Except for stretching a divider and things like that, don't resize through height and width attributes. Graphic programs are better at resizing than browsers.

Need.... well, the problem is mainly that the browser starts rendering the page without knowing the actual size of the images. So things start jumping around as images load. As far as I know... might be other reasons as well.

Corwings has answered most of your query.

With regard to the last point browsers do need the height and width attributes to load "well". If the user's connection is slow the browser will arrange the text around a space of the right size so he can start reading while the picture is downloading.

When laying out images I often use an editor such as Netscape Composer rather than native html as it conveniently checks the image size and inserts the attributes for me.

Thanks for the help!

Yes, I have been trying to cheat a little and maybe that has messed my up? I made a template with the Wizard because I saw that it created a CSS file automatically and I liked the format! So I have been trying to Cheat by using the CSS that the Wizard created and then putting in my seperate pages....Maybe this had not been the BEST choice for me but one step at a time I have learned that replacing a whole page is NOT as difficult as I thought!

Thanks, I do feel that having the image size on the page so that the text is in the correct spot before the pictures load is a great idea but I am not sure I will kill myself doing that at this point in time!

Anna