This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Re: I am not sure what ALT Attribute actually means....

well great it looks like what I posted came out coded sorry...

I just want to know what an Alt Atribute really is and does and why all my images don't seem to have one.

I also want to know why so many places it I am told that my <*A> should be indside my <*H1> and not the <*H1> inside the <*A> I guess I just don't understand what these functions are supposed to do?

Alternate Text found here:http://www.doctor-html.com/RxHTML/cgi-bin/ssi.cgi?l=ImageSyntax.html#hlpsa

The "alternate text" defined for the image with the "ALT=" tag in the command. If the field appears blank, then no alternate text is present. This text would be displayed by browsers that can not display the image. Some browsers will also use this text for the "tool tips" display when the mouse hovers over the image. Including alternate text for each image is recommended.

............so this means that I can add TEXT to be seen if my pics do not load! Does anyone know exactly how I should write it? Is there an example someplace of how the ALT tag is added to the images so that I can add it correctly?

Annaa

Re: Re: I am not sure what ALT Attribute actually means....

Thank You I think I am starting to "Get-It"

Anna

The alt text will also be read by screen reading software and will pop up when a visitor puts a mouse over the picture in Windows.

Re: Re: Re: I am not sure what ALT Attribute actually means....

No Peter the ALT text doesn't popup when you mouse over it (except in IE which gets it wrong).

The ALT attribute contains text that will replace the image if the browser can't display images.

To get a tooltip to popup when the mouse is moved over an image (or any other part of the page) use the TITLE attribute.

Thank You I have managed to get the idea of the ALT attribute! My home page should have them all now!

HOWEVER--does anyone know the exact HTML to set the Hight width or an image (I am using the Bravent File Manager!)

I also messed up the CSS format on the front page and have no idea what to do to fix it... front page www.happymomanna.com/index.html

I have a format page that is correct at: http://happymomanna.com/format_template.html if anyone sees what the heck I did!

Anna

some of my image tags say a lot of different things in one tag?

Example: (remove the * and add < >)

**IMG style="WIDTH: 64px; HEIGHT: 42px" height=36 src="http://happymomanna.com/myPictures/myicon.gif" width=63 border=0 **

This tag seems to have three different widths???

Re: Re: Re: Re: I am not sure what ALT Attribute actually means....

Typo on my part - I meant to say "explorer" not "windows". Having just spent a happy half hour manually putting in matching pairs of title and alt tags on images I am well aware of the issues.

Originally the alt text was used for the older browsers that displayed text only so someone viewing could read the text instead of viewing the image.
One important thing to remember with the alt text it can help when you get listed with the search engines,and assist with the ratings in a minor way.
Did you replace an image(one bravenet used on a template) with one of your own? This could explain why there is more than one set of image sizes. That was just something I have seen before, not sure if this is why, but I believe possible.

Browser: ,3

Did you post about this particular problem somewhere else? I could have sworn I had already answered this?

The ALT attribute is a mandatory attribute for web pages to validate correctly. You need to provide alternate text to allow for those people who choose to turn off images in their browser as well as those using browsers that can't display images. For example a blind person can't possibly see any images on your page but their talking browser will be able to read the ALT text to them.