This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Can I open a file that will span 3 frames?

on my web site, I have 4 frames: one verticle frame on the left side of the screen for all of my links that extends from top to bottom and is set at 15% width. And the right side of the screen has 3 horizontal frames that fill the rest of the screen. The Top horizontal frame is a non-scrollable header frame, and under that frame is a non-scrollable sub-header frame, and under those two is third scrollable frame that takes up the remaining space. Normally the header frame has the name of my ministry. The sub-header frame has the name of the file that is open, and the bottom horizontal frame has the scrollable text of the file that is open.

But I have one file that I need to open differently. When I click on the link to that file, I need the header and sub header frames to disappear and the bottom frame to open from the top to the bottom of the screen on the right hand side, covering the areas that were originally occupied by the header and sub header frams and the bottom frame, but I need it to leave the verticle link frame on the left alone.

The web site is livingwordministries.com. The link is the HizKidz link.

Browser: roundmot,2

Re: Can I open a file that will span 3 frames?

Yes, simply make a link not targeted to the main frame, but to a new frameset with three frames.

However, I think the whole concept is basically flawed. It is already too complicated. Take a look at the page on my system:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Making a frame non-scrollable does not do much good when there is content that requires scrolling in order to be visible.

LOL. Thanks for the reply. I will try it.

I apparantly do not understand your suggestion. I tried creating a new frameset within my Index file. I named it "hiz Kidz" and told it that I wanted it to span 100% of the rows. And I then pointed the link to that frameset. But nothing happens. I have managed to point the link to open in a "new" page as it has always done in the past. But I want the new page to have the links frame on the left side of the screen just like all of the other pages. Is there a way to make the new page have two verticle frames? What is the code for it, and where do I enter the code, what file? I know almost nothing about HTML. My duaghter designed most of the site. I am trying to modify it. And I have not even looked at HTML in almost 4 years. HELP. LOL TIA

BTW, I left both headers visible on purpose so that I would be able to see at a glance if I was making progress. Of course I intend to remove the bottom header code from the data file AFTER I have found out how to code the page to my desired look. Thx.

Re: Re: Can I open a file that will span 3 frames?

The link should go to a page that looks somewhat like this:

Hiz Kidz

<br /> <body><br /> Alternative content for browsers that do not support frames <br /> </body><br />

I made some changes compared with your main page - I made the left frame 130 pixels wide, because that is what it seems to need - 14% of 800 is only 112.

You will need to think carefully about how you target links from the left frame if you want to use the same menu with both setups. If may be easier to use two similar but different menus.