This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
left frame cascading menu targeting

Hello all,
I am having th worst trouble making the cascading menu template links open up in my right frame.
I am not sure how to make it open there. when a link is clicked it will always open another browser window instead of opening into the right frame.
how is the code written to target that frame? I have tried help in my html program and bravenet help but I'm new when it comes to code and its confusing. All I need is to see the correct way the code is supposed to be and it will be easier to understand

Re: left frame cascading menu targeting

Well, you haven't given us a URL to look at so we can't tell you exactly what is going on. But the first question that comes up is, what did you name the frames?

When your running frames, your main document usually contains the definition for your page structure with one, or more, frameset definitions. A frameset document might look like the following:

A frameset document

This is a simple 3 X 3 frame setup, but notice that each tag has a "name" and a "src" defined. When all of the frames are loaded, and your page is being displayed you can open a link in any one of the frames, to any one of the other frames, simply by targeting the link properly. To open a link in the current frame you would use either the current frames name or the keyword "_self". To open a link in a different frame you would use the name of that frame. Using the above frameset as an example, if I had a link in left center frame (name="upper_middle") that I wanted to open in the middle frame (name="middle_middle") the link might look like this:

New Page

For more examples and other details on frames try W3Schools - HTML Frames.

You might also want to evaluate your need for using frames. Very few situations really need to use frames and the support overhead is high. If you need dynamic updating, you can do much the same thing with

and structures.

to martin..Re: left frame cascading menu targeting

thank you very much for your instructions. I am going to try that. If not I am going to trash the frames and go for the other way. I am going to have to learn to do it it though, < div > and < span > I dont understand yet.. but that website link for W3schools you put there looks like it will be alot of help! It covers tons of stuff. The templates are ok, but I like to understand what I am doing instead of just copy / paste blindly.
There isnt much on my website as its just new. The left frame is in chaos too...lol
I guess I will be learning through all the mistakes.
thanks again!