This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
XHTML

I was just looking for anyones thoughts on this subject.

What do you think about the fact that "they" are trying to make XHTML the standard.

I originally learned HTML and have now been told that many of the tags have been depricated! Thus meaning i have had to go through various pages of code and update it to comply with XHTML standards.

Does anyone have any views on this?

Also, as some coding has been depricated i am still unsure what codes should no be used in there place, any sites out there i could use for reference purposes?

Re: XHTML

The site linked above should help.

In my view this move adds a lot of power to your site but at the expense of the basic elegance of the whole concept of a mark up language.

Re: Re: XHTML

The idea of separating content and appearance (HTML and CSS) was something that most people wanted in the first place (at least those who knew something about design). The only tags that have been deprecated are the ones that should never have been created in the first place and which were never supported by all browsers anyway. It will be good if the browsers all start supporting the same standards - the version 7 browsers come close and the soon to be released version 8 browsers should come even closer.

regards,
Stephen Chapman

Ask Felgall for Computer Help
Focus on Javascript

Re: Re: Re: XHTML

Really Stephen... how odd that a simple CENTER tag never worked in all browsers.. or a Bold tag, or an Italics tag, or many other perfectly normal and usable tags in any browser.

Your assertion that only tags that didnt work in all browsers have been depricated is entirely wrong.

Re: Re: Re: Re: XHTML

I should have said that the tags common to all browsers that have been replaced with a better more flexible way of achieving the same effect have been deprecated. Most of them have been replaced by CSS as they should never have been part of HTML in the first place.

Tags that are not common to all browsers have not been deprecated since they officially never existed in the first place.

regards,
Stephen Chapman

Ask Felgall for Computer Help
Focus on Javascript

For some odd reason, it does not appear as though Bravenet allows for XHTML (at least on their free sites). You know your code is flawless on your home computer, and you know that Bravenet adds ads to each page at the top and bottom. When checking it through the validator, it comes up with nothing but errors.

That's nice Johnnyabc

that you bring up a topic that is 4 years old

if you have a problem POST your own topic and what it is please and don't find one that is 10 years old just because it looks like it may relate to your issue