This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
? can't change htaccess.txt to .htaccess ?

I am password protecting some pages and it won't let me change htaccess.txt to .htaccess
How can I?

Re: ? can't change htaccess.txt to .htaccess ?

"it" what won't let you change? Maybe a simple FTP program and a text editor is what's needed.

Re: ? can't change htaccess.txt to .htaccess ?

i made my .htaccess file using Notepad, and when I saved it I just clicked Save as type: all files, and typed in ".htaccess".

i hope that works for you!

Ro

Re: Re: ? can't change htaccess.txt to .htaccess ?

You can do it by placing the name in quotes like this:

".htaccess"

Should work either to rename or when naming in the first place since filenames in quotes are accepted as is and don't have a file type added.

regards,
Stephen Chapman

Ask Felgall for Computer Help

Re: Re: Re: ? can't change htaccess.txt to .htaccess ?

.htaccess files only work on Apache servers. Windows doesnt support .htaccess.

Re: Re: Re: Re: ? can't change htaccess.txt to .htaccess ?

.htaccess will only work on Apache servers running on Linux or other Unix based operating systems. I am running Apache on Windows NT but haven't yet figured out how to get it to recognise the .htaccess file but the files do work once uploaded to my web host.

Most people work on their own Windows based computer to create the files to upload to their web server (which is usually running Linux) and therefore need to get the .htaccess file created with the correct name ready to upload it.

regards,
Stephen Chapman

Ask Felgall for Computer Help

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ? can't change htaccess.txt to .htaccess ?

Much easier just to create an htaccess.txt file, upload it and rename it on the server.