Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
CHAT/PAGE BOX

HI,
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO LIMIT THE USE OF THE CHAT
ROOM TO MEMBERS OF THE CLUB ONLY,IT'S SO ONLY THE PLAYERS CAN USE IT TO COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER. ALSO IF YOU LOOK AT THE SITE YOU CAN SEE THAT THE BOXES AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE ARE STARTING TO ENCROACH INTO THE PAGE SECTIONS, HOW DO I STOP THIS? YOUR HELP WILL BE GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED!!
JOHN

Browser: jjw_260@hotmail.com

Re: CHAT/PAGE BOX

Bravenet chat does not include a membership service. You will have to look to other providers if you need that.

You could hide the chat behind Password Gate. Not perfect and you would need a page behind PG to link to the chat.

Re: Re: CHAT/PAGE BOX

thanks peter, if you can tell me how to do that, i will be grateful. do you know how i can rectift the other problem?

john

Re: Password Gate

First register for the assword gate, so that you have your own personal code.

You need a separate page for the login-box. There you paste the code, right where you want the login-box to apear. You may want to add information on how to get a login-name, and what kind of things can be found "behind" the login.

Then in the Password Gate Service Manager, you define sets of three things:
-username
-password
-FULL URL of the protected page. Here you can either provide the page (www.yoursite.com/yourpage.html, not just yourpage.html) where you pasted the code for a Java Chat.

That's it.

Jim

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

thanks peter, if you can tell me how to do that, i will be grateful. do you know how i can rectift the other problem?

john

Re: Re: Password Gate

thanks jim i'll certainly give it a go,but i'm not the worlds best at this game but i'll try it out, i'll get back to you.
cheers
john

You're welcome :-)

Jim

Replying to:

thanks jim i'll certainly give it a go,but i'm not the worlds best at this game but i'll try it out, i'll get back to you.
cheers
john

Re: Re: Password Gate

hi jim, i've got the gate as you said and put up a page , but i'm lost from there!! help!!
jw

Re: Re: Re: Password Gate

On that page, the login-page, you should put the code for the password gate. The above linked site can help you. That should produce a login box on that page.

In the service manager for the Password Gate, create one or more accounts pointing to your chatbox. Use three things:
-username
-password
-the URL to your chatbox. If you look at the code for your chatbox, you'll notice something like this:
http://pub12.bravenet.com/chat/show.php?usernum=1234567890&cpv=2
(you'll have different numbers). The blue part is the URL you have to fill in.

If you didn't receive the mail containing that code, or don't have it anymore, you can get it again in your Java Chat service manager; it's in "Copy/Paste Code", under Service Utilities.

Then don't forget to take away the Java Chat from your "Services" in the Website Wizard, otherwise the Gate makes no sense.

Jim

Replying to:

hi jim, i've got the gate as you said and put up a page , but i'm lost from there!! help!!
jw

Re: Re: Re: Re: Password Gate

sorry jim but i dont understand what your instructions mean, i dont have a clue about url, html etc, java what's java?? , i'm a complete novice, i guess i'll just have to forget it and the players will just have to miss out, sorry but i'm no rocket scientist !!
thanks anyway!
john

Re: Re: Re: Re: Password Gate

jim b,
tried wot u said ,it won't work, obviously i'm doing it wrong , can u help again ?
john

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Password Gate

thats 3 hours i've been trying this, i give up.
john