This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Loading html code to transfer content of previous website to new site

How do I create/use html to retrieve missing pages from my old Earthlink personal website to new bravehost website? I am not familiar with the html code. Help!

Re: Loading html code to transfer content of previous website to new site

There is no explicit code to write.

You need to save all the files from Earthlink to your PC, check the internal coding for references to Earthlink and correct them and upload to Bravenet.

In the longer term this is one of the reasons I recommend using a PC based editor rather than the on-line tools provided by web hosts. You always have a copy of your site available and it is totally portable.

Re: Re: Loading html code to transfer content of previous website to new site

Peter, I am not sure how to do what you have advised. Could you give me some more details how and where I would change the internal coding for earthlink? Would that be in Word or on the site at Bravenet.com? Thanks for your quick response to my previous question. I appreciate it very much.

Jerry

Re: Re: Re: Loading html code to transfer content of previous website to new site

1. You need to get the html files onto your PC.
If you used a product like FrontPage to create your site then you should have copies already. If you used an on-line editing tool provided by Earthlink then you need to save every file on your site to your PC

2. (If required) you can save your site either by visiting every page and using the Save option from your browser's file menu. OR if you have an ftp utility for your site use that to make local copies.
Create a special folder on your PC and save everything there.

3. Close your web connection and run the copy of your site locally on your PC. This will show if all references are OK. HTML is just text, simple corrections can be made easily in Notepad.

4. Look at the folder you created for your site. Did the dowload process result in any sub-folders being created? If so you will have to create these on Bravenet with File Manager before uploading.

5. In your Bravenet account upload everything to the required folders.

The site above will give you more info on using the Bravenet editors. However I strongle recommend spending 2 or 3 hours learning some basics of html at a site like Webmonkey. This will save you lots of grief in the long run.