This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
PLEASE HELP: HOW DO YOU MAKE A FILE DOWNLOADABLE ON A WEB SITE?

I don't understand!

To make a file downloadable on a website, you need to have the file in question stored in the same folder as your webpage, or already stored on your webserver.

What does that mean? Because I can't seem to do that.
I believe you can only do that with IMAGES, which can be stored in a separate area on your webserver, not files.

PLEASE HELP.

By the way. I have checked the Bravenet 'HTML Coding Tutorials', however it doesn't help. It states what I already know above:
------------------------------------------------------
How can I make a downloadable file link?
Like text and images, you can also make files of all sorts downloadable with a text or image link. Assuming the file you want to make downloadable is stored in the same folder as the webpage that you put the download link on, you just need to enter the filename of the file in the anchor tag code, like this:
Click here to download

If the file you want to make downloadable is stored in a separate folder on your webserver, then you have to point to that folder and include the filename. For example, let's assume the file is in a folder called 'downloads' on your webserver, then you would write the HREF link like this:
Click here to download

PLEASE HELP - THANK YOU ,

Re: PLEASE HELP: HOW DO YOU MAKE A FILE DOWNLOADABLE ON A WEB SITE?

The tutorial shows you exactly how to code the download link. Which part is giving you trouble, exactly?

Re: Re: PLEASE HELP: HOW DO YOU MAKE A FILE DOWNLOADABLE ON A WEB SITE?

This part here:
"Assuming the file you want to make downloadable is stored in the same folder as the webpage..."

& this part:
"If the file you want to make downloadable is stored in a separate folder on your webserver... For example, let's assume the file is in a folder called 'downloads' on your webserver..."

My problem is, how do you store a file, eg. a .doc, .midi or .exe file on a separate area on your webserver - in order to make a download link with it? It doesn't give you the opportunity to store the file on the server anywhere. Only with IMAGES.

Please Help.

Re: Re: Re: PLEASE HELP: HOW DO YOU MAKE A FILE DOWNLOADABLE ON A WEB SITE?

You can upload any file you want to the free bravehost service as long as the filetype is one of those supported. You cannot upload any file that is not in the allowed list.

The list is clearly shown when you upload files..be they images or anything else.

If you have files that are not allowed, then you will need to post them on another server and link to them on the other server.

If you upload a file to your main folder you would just call the filename as explained in the tutorial:

Click to download

If you were to upload a file called example.zip to a folder called download (you can create any folders you like in the file manager) then you would link to:

Click to download

If you are trying to link to a file stored on another server, then you need to point to where the file is on the other server:

Click to download

In all cases, you have to define the link to point to the file you uploaded. Since the link is on a webpage, you have to tell the browser where to go from the webpage..much like telling a visitor how to go from your house to the store.

Saying 'the store is 4 blocks away' isnt very helpful... Saying 'the store is 2 blocks east, 1 block south and 1 block west' points directly to the store from your house where the visitor actually is at that moment.

That is what a web address is.. it is a set of directions that tell a browser where a file is located.

Re: Re: Re: Re: PLEASE HELP: HOW DO YOU MAKE A FILE DOWNLOADABLE ON A WEB SITE?

Thank you very much for your time and help.
It has been acknowledged and appreciated, Morgan.

I also got the following helpful advice direct from The Bravenet Web Service Support Team:

Bravenet Web Services Support [Daniel - Support Technician] August 10, 2004 15:44:43

Dear F Amin,

Unfortunately free Website Hosting only supports the following file types:

.htm, .html, .gif, .jpg, .png, .txt, .swf, .mid, .rmi, .au, .wav, .js, .css, .ico, and .bmp

File type limitations are not in place for Paid Website Hosting accounts, however.

Unfortunately if the filetype you'd like to use on our webpage is not an allowed type, you may have to upgrade to our professional version or find a hosting provider that does support that filetype.

To review the details of our Website Hosting features and pricing, please visit the page below:

http://www.bravenet.com/webhosting/index.php

We're very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused,
Thank you for your patience.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: PLEASE HELP: HOW DO YOU MAKE A FILE DOWNLOADABLE ON A WEB SITE?

Yup..thats the list of allowed filetypes from the Upload portion of the File Manager which I mentioned in my post.