This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Meta Tags

Can you tell me if my meta tags are incorrect? I signed up with Submitnet. They are saying that there is no description of my site. Is the coding written wrong?

Also, last week, I used their coding for Meta Tags and put it into my header. When I looked at my site all the colors and the design of my website was gone. I researched a bit with Submitnet and they say that you are supposed to add Alt tags. What are those and how do I use them?

The following is the coding I used:
http://www.pictureofahouse.com

Thanks,
Sindy Post

Re: Meta Tags

Description is a meta tag which some search engines display as their result. Others may use this in other ways.

ALT is not a tag, it is an attribute of the IMG (image) tag. This is what creates a little pop-up label when you put the mouse over an image. This is important:
1. It still shows if visitors are browsing with images switched off (for faster downloads)so the visitor can decide if they want to see the picture
2. Search engines may use this to weight results on image searches
3. Screen to voice software will read it out.
If your web editor doesn't give you the option to putthis in then get a new editor

Re: Re: Meta Tags

My editor is Bravenet. I see you are from Web Monkey. I just checked it out. It looks like a great resource. I will spend more time with it.

In the meantime, I don't know if you are able to look at what I have written in the editor but I am wondering if you could tell me what the correct coding is to include the Alt attribute. How do I write it?
Thanks,
Sindy

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Description is a meta tag which some search engines display as their result. Others may use this in other ways.

ALT is not a tag, it is an attribute of the IMG (image) tag. This is what creates a little pop-up label when you put the mouse over an image. This is important:
1. It still shows if visitors are browsing with images switched off (for faster downloads)so the visitor can decide if they want to see the picture
2. Search engines may use this to weight results on image searches
3. Screen to voice software will read it out.
If your web editor doesn't give you the option to putthis in then get a new editor

Re: Re: Re: Meta Tags

Webmonkey isn't my site, my PC just "remembered" it from when I referenced it for another query. Its a good site for learning html though.

There is a choice of on-line editors provided by Bravenet but as my main web host is elsewhere I maintain my few Bravehost pages on my PC.

The best way to get the hang of a feature is to view the source for a page that uses it. All the images on my own page (linked above) use alt attributes.

Front Page and Netscape Composer both have a field for ALT in the dialog for adding or maintaining images. I am sure that whichever editor you are using will have one too but it may not be obvious.

Failure to provide alternative text for images makes your site less accessible and as you are trading you must be careful about any local disability discrimination regulations.