This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
I Want My Webpage to be Longer!

If you look at the front page, it's a little crowded... How do I extend the length of my pages? I know it's probably easy, but I can't figure it out! Help! I use Microsoft Picture It! Publishing 2001, btw... Look at the code and see what's up. Thanx!

Re: I Want My Webpage to be Longer!

Sorry I got bored waiting for your page to download and gave up. You have some mega graphics on there, too big for a dial up connection (broadband is still in the minority, even if only just).

The page length is handled by the browser. If you add another line of text then the page will be a line longer.

Re: Re: I Want My Webpage to be Longer!

It's probably a script or so that causes that. Mozilla shows nothing from your site I'm afraid, and that is due to the rubbish code that MS Publisher generates. Publisher is a great tool for making something that needs to be printed, but it's an awful thing for making websites. It creates too big images, it creates images for everything without necessity, and it loves to add scripts that choke in most browsers.
I strongly suggest to go look for a real web editor (within the MS family FrontPage is the only tool suitable for making webpages) and start over..

Sorry to not have any better news..

Jim

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Sorry I got bored waiting for your page to download and gave up. You have some mega graphics on there, too big for a dial up connection (broadband is still in the minority, even if only just).

The page length is handled by the browser. If you add another line of text then the page will be a line longer.

Re: Re: Re: I Want My Webpage to be Longer!

Any suggestions for an awesome webpage maker? The reason I liked this program was because I could see everything I was placing on the page and where I wanted it to be placed. For example, if I wanted something here.................................!!!!........................Or here.......................I just added the graphic to the page and moved it to the spot I wanted. Anything like that as far as a webpage editor goes?

Re: Re: Re: Re: I Want My Webpage to be Longer!

You can control positioning with normal html using any halfway decent editing package. Most people use tables for this.

Remember that the appearance of a page will vary according to browser resolution and font size. These are features that are under the control of the browsing PC. The skill of a webmaster is to make the page look good at all resolutions and on all browsers.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I Want My Webpage to be Longer!

I usually send people to www.download.com, there are heaps for you to try and see if you feel comfortable with them. Just today in the Copy/Paste forum someone was being lyrical about Serif WebPlus. Don't know the thing, but it looks like it works the way you want to work.

The skills Peter refers to are just the weak point of Publisher (and MS Word...). Those programs are made to give you 100% control over what you put where, but that's not how the web works. If you prepare something for an A4-sized piece of paper, that size is the same all over the world. But that's not at all the case for browsers, they adjust everything according to the space the viewers give them. 100% control in this case is very bad, with either so many tricks used that the page simply doesn't work in all browsers, or that it will only look good in the shape and size the designer had in mind, but not in higher or lower resolutions, resized browser windows and so on.

Jim

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

You can control positioning with normal html using any halfway decent editing package. Most people use tables for this.

Remember that the appearance of a page will vary according to browser resolution and font size. These are features that are under the control of the browsing PC. The skill of a webmaster is to make the page look good at all resolutions and on all browsers.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I Want My Webpage to be Longer!

If you want help, I can edit the code for you. I use a combination of Dreamweaver MX (for design) and notepad for coding. And yes, your webpage hates Mozilla.

Browser: ChimpBattalion,2