This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
index.html

I went to rename some of my files and renamed my index.html and now it gives me an error when I try to pull up my site...I have a feeling I should have not done this. How do I get the error to go away ..Help!Angie

Re: index.html

Angie

Jun 19, 04 - 8:19 PM Index.html question

I am a newbie to building a website! I think I messed up...I was in my files and did some renaming and I renamed my index.html ...now I get an error when I open my site...I should not of done this help..what now? I will not let me edit in text or visual nothing shows up!? ANgie
Email: alaube@kc.rr.com

Winky

Jun 19th, 2004 - 10:14 PM Re: Index.html question

ok, i think i know what you are talking about. I have had sites here before, and I'm working on one now, so I'll try to help ya. Okay, you say u renamed your index.html? here's the deal: the index.html is your homepage, so it HAS to be named index.html. However, if you were to rename it, all you would have to do is rename it BACK to index.html. i hope that helped.
Email: A-20@cutey.com

Winky

Jun 19th, 2004 - 10:17 PM Re: Index.html question

Also, if you don't want people to see your unfinished website while you are working on it, you could rename your index.html file to say, index_unused.html or something. Then create a new file called index.html. The new file will serve as your homepage. On the new 'index.html' you could put something like: Sorry, I'm currently working on this site, come back later. When you are done building your website, you can delete this index.html file and rename your index_unused.html BACK to index.html to use as your homepage again. get it? it's really useful.
Email: A-20@cutey.com

Re: index.html

By making sure your front page is called index.html, so I guess renaming it back is the easiest.

Jim

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I went to rename some of my files and renamed my index.html and now it gives me an error when I try to pull up my site...I have a feeling I should have not done this. How do I get the error to go away ..Help!Angie