This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Filename

I'm trying to build a website and I'm being asked to put in a filename which Bravenet says will fill in the end with html. I don't know what they're talking about? How do I make a filename? What is is?

Re: Filename

A file is the thing that contains any document that you create on the web. When you write a letter in Microsoft Word and save it the thing that you have saved is a file.

When you save any document, be it for Word, Excel or a web site the software that you are using will prompt you for a file name. You choose the name, you type it in the space provided.

Re: Re: Filename

While we are doing the real basic stuff:

In file names, do not use spaces or special characters. Filenames are case sensitive, that means that Index.HTML is not the same as index.html.

Your main page should probably be named index.html

That way if someone types your URL they can skip the filename. For any other page, they would also need to add "page2.html" or whatever.

Re: Re: Re: Filename

Also like that case sensitive and the saves from Word, Or even photoshop.. They all have a special file save.. Like some pictures are image.jpg, or image.gif, and some are even image.bmp, But that end take is a special way for some programs to catagorize thier stuff from others. But all ur files for HTML should be in html form if thier a page. But if thier images thier best viewed in .gif ( i think??) But thats from my computer every one elses are differnt so hope u can get it 2 work??

Re: Re: Re: Re: Filename

Real Photos save as .jpg format usually
so your color is preserved
and your photo quality is kept.

Gifs and Animations are saved as gifs.