Return to Website

Open Chat & Rant Board

Open Chat & Rant Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Level 4 and level 4.2 ?

Well written and stated. I agree with both you and Larry. I competed back in the day when it was co-ed and Varsity. 30+ teams in the Varsity Division at Ontario's, you actually had to compete, and be mindful of things, like smiles, motions, no bobbles, etc. It was a "real" competition in my mind.

Re: Level 4 and level 4.2 ?

Well, I'm going to date myself again and state that I remember a time in which you could compete in Ontario against 60+ teams. That being said, the "actual" competition took place between two or three teams for top place - CCH, Notre Dame, Woodlands, Bishop Mac...and honestly, that is it.

We continually lament about the "lack of competition" but in reality its always been thus in the truest sense of the word. Having the 59th place team in 1989 attempt to do the things that CCH was doing would have been unsafe, and bad for the sport (and it was). The level playing field rules that we have today that restrict teams to stay within the level of their ability is prudent and smart. Having ability-based division works in every other sport in our country so why won't it work at cheer?

In my estimation it does, CE had over 350 teams...my gym (PCT) took 13 teams to this competition and EVERY SINGLE one of our divisions had competition - some deep (10-15 teams) some not deep (2-4 teams). It is not the USASF divisions that are causing the lack of deep divisions - its the proliferation of competitions. Back in the day, we had 3 maybe 4 events in a year. We started competing at Voaden in December and ended in Ontarios in March. Easy, condensed season and every cheer team in the province participated. Now teams travel, we have 10 events to choose from in Ontario (don't get me wrong, I like that) and with that cannot expect to have competitions with divisions of even 10 teams. Its not the reality, and holding fast to the "good old days" is just silly.

As for 4.2, I'm all for it. I think its the perfect division for most of Canada. It allows senior aged girls to do what they are most good at (eg. stunt), without going beyond that illusive backhandspring. Seriously, how many 16 year olds learn to go beyond this skill? Its a realistic division based upon what the country has to offer. Should it be up for Grand Champs vs. Level 4? I don't think so. Should it exist? Absolutely!