Return to Website

Lisa's General Forum (Froggy's Realm)

Welcome everyone! Feel free to start a new topic or to say anything that comes to your mind. Don't be shy!

Lisa's General Forum (Froggy's Realm)
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Paralympic needs more attention

I agree with you. It seems to get better each year, but there still is a long way to go. One thing that was great about the 2000 Paralympics was that the Australians recognized that the athletes competing are ATHLETES and they work as hard as able-bodied athletes. Unfortunately the response back here in Canada wasn't quite as great. It certainly was an improvement from the '96 Games where it was hard to hear anything at all about the Games.

Maybe inclusion is the only way to get respect in our sport. If it is, perhaps we should surge ahead. Either way, I am just glad to be able to compete and perhaps change some minds along the way. The Paralympics have a long way to go (even the spell checker tried to tell me that there was no such word as the Paralympics!). Hopefully with open attitudes and knowledge some of the stereotypes will be proved wrong.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi

What really bugs me is that people always referrer to wheelchair racing as being special Olympics,for people with developmental

disabilities. Sure there is probley some sort of wheelchair racing for those in the SO.

The paralympics are not recognized as they should be. We have along ways to go till it get to the level we should be at.

Stefanie

Re: Re: Paralympic needs more attention

I have not been to the paralympics yet. Hopefully with hard work that will change. I would like to comment on the attitude of able bodied people concerning the sport. Most people here in the US look at the sport as a health and wellness type of deal. Now I go out and knockout some serious mileage. So everytime I see the "ahh that is good" reaction from people it takes away my edge somewhat. The thing that I really think is screwed up is that I get this reaction from some para's. My liittle brother is so out of shape that he can only do one pull up. I asked him if pushing looked easy and he said yes. All I could do was laugh. The world has a ways to go before we get the proper recognition. Anyway hope all is well.

Replying to:

I agree with you. It seems to get better each year, but there still is a long way to go. One thing that was great about the 2000 Paralympics was that the Australians recognized that the athletes competing are ATHLETES and they work as hard as able-bodied athletes. Unfortunately the response back here in Canada wasn't quite as great. It certainly was an improvement from the '96 Games where it was hard to hear anything at all about the Games.

Maybe inclusion is the only way to get respect in our sport. If it is, perhaps we should surge ahead. Either way, I am just glad to be able to compete and perhaps change some minds along the way. The Paralympics have a long way to go (even the spell checker tried to tell me that there was no such word as the Paralympics!). Hopefully with open attitudes and knowledge some of the stereotypes will be proved wrong.

Replying to:

Hi

What really bugs me is that people always referrer to wheelchair racing as being special Olympics,for people with developmental

disabilities. Sure there is probley some sort of wheelchair racing for those in the SO.

The paralympics are not recognized as they should be. We have along ways to go till it get to the level we should be at.

Stefanie

Re: Re: Re: Paralympic needs more attention

Good insight. Attitudes are slowly changing...but we're not there. I would also have to agree with you about your brother. I am probably ore active than most people who are not disabled.

Replying to:

I have not been to the paralympics yet. Hopefully with hard work that will change. I would like to comment on the attitude of able bodied people concerning the sport. Most people here in the US look at the sport as a health and wellness type of deal. Now I go out and knockout some serious mileage. So everytime I see the "ahh that is good" reaction from people it takes away my edge somewhat. The thing that I really think is screwed up is that I get this reaction from some para's. My liittle brother is so out of shape that he can only do one pull up. I asked him if pushing looked easy and he said yes. All I could do was laugh. The world has a ways to go before we get the proper recognition. Anyway hope all is well.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Hi

Stefanie