Return to Website

MoldMaker's Forum

This is a place where those involved with the moldmaking industry can come together to share information, ask questions, offer tips, etc.
(It may be necessary to refresh/reload your browser window after posting in order to see your post as well as any other new posts.)

***Posts containing negative opinions about specific products or services will be deleted if no contact information is provided.***

If you have problems using this forum, or need technical advice, please send an email to info@ctipublishing.com.

*The views and opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily the views of MoldMaking Technology magazine.*

MoldMaker's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Difference between Ramax and 1.2316?

First of all I would like to say that it is my pleasure to join this forum and that I have benefit by reading the posts and answers.

For the moldbase of a new mold, I have been recommended by a toolmaker to use 1.2316 instead of Ramax which was requested by the customer, because 1.2316 was more readily available in Asia. What is the difference between these 2? Are they really interchangeable?

Where can I get more information on steel grades and its properties?

Thank you!
Gee Young

Re: Difference between Ramax and 1.2316?

Ramax S is a 420 SS prehard (about 35 Rockwell). It's major benefit is corrosion resistance. 1.2316 is also considered as a prehard (about 33 Rockwell). It is listed as a corrosion resistant steel as well. It's alloying elements are all lower with the exception of silicon.1.2316 also contains nickel. Because my primary function is to repair tool steel I would rather see the Ramax than the 1.2316.

Lex Harrelson
Micro Fusion Technology

http://www.micro-fusion.com