Return to Website

MoldMaker's Forum

This is a place where those involved with the moldmaking industry can come together to share information, ask questions, offer tips, etc.
(It may be necessary to refresh/reload your browser window after posting in order to see your post as well as any other new posts.)

***Posts containing negative opinions about specific products or services will be deleted if no contact information is provided.***

If you have problems using this forum, or need technical advice, please send an email to info@ctipublishing.com.

*The views and opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily the views of MoldMaking Technology magazine.*

MoldMaker's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coating Mold with TiN

Have anyone tried to cover molds with TiN to prolong their life?
If there is any information on this subject, please tell me where I can find it.
Thanks in advance

Re: Coating Mold with TiN

Hi Anastasia,

TiN coating for mold surfaces is okay for short production runs, but, it will wear off over time.

I would recommend a chromium nitride coating as a better altermative. It is more expensive than titanium nitride, but useful life is greatly extended.

If you do not need a mirrored surface finish, hard chrome is a nice surface application as well. If you clean your molds in a salt bath, I would not recommend this surface treatment. The nice thing about the hard chrome is it gives the molded parts a "matte finish" and can hide small part defects, tool marks, etc.

Hope some of this helps,
Brian

There are several coatings on the market with more being developed all the time. We deal with Bales which is in the Chicago area and a plant in Texas I think. There are others but these people have been in this biz for a good amount of time. They can suggest the proper coatings for your process.

I would like to recommend Chrome-nanodiamond coating instead of hard chrome or any PVD coating for the mold surface. Because it has much high than microhardness more than 1,400kg/mm2 and the best wear resistance.
As its process is electrochemical process in stead of PVD or CVD vacuum process,very reasonable coating cost.