Return to Website

MoldMaker's Forum

This is a place where those involved with the moldmaking industry can come together to share information, ask questions, offer tips, etc.
(It may be necessary to refresh/reload your browser window after posting in order to see your post as well as any other new posts.)

***Posts containing negative opinions about specific products or services will be deleted if no contact information is provided.***

If you have problems using this forum, or need technical advice, please send an email to info@ctipublishing.com.

*The views and opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily the views of MoldMaking Technology magazine.*

MoldMaker's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Overmolding while holding substrate in position

I am working on a design where I need to overmold a small electrical component in a part. The small electrical component or "substrate" will be placed into the ejector half of a vertical shuttle mold and then overmolded. The problem is that I must hold the part in position within the wallthickness without anything touching the cover half cavity surface. What I am considering is a core pin that retracts hydraulically at some point during the injection of overmold material. The pin would have to stay in position long enough for overmold material to encapsulate the substrate enough that it cannot move within the wall thickness and then retract while overmold material injection continues and ultimately fills the hole in the overmold material formed around the moving pin before it retracted. I know this is being done but I have never been involved in a mold design that incorporates this feature and am looking for any ideas that you would care to share.

Thanks,
John

Re: Overmolding while holding substrate in position

Give me a call to discuss 1-812-372-8610
done something close to this a few years ago

Re: Overmolding while holding substrate in position

Try contacting a golfball manufacturer. They mold the final coat in the way you explained.