Return to Website

MoldMaker's Forum

This is a place where those involved with the moldmaking industry can come together to share information, ask questions, offer tips, etc.
(It may be necessary to refresh/reload your browser window after posting in order to see your post as well as any other new posts.)

***Posts containing negative opinions about specific products or services will be deleted if no contact information is provided.***

If you have problems using this forum, or need technical advice, please send an email to info@ctipublishing.com.

*The views and opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily the views of MoldMaking Technology magazine.*

MoldMaker's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Overmolding

Hi,

I'm a student doing some marketability research on overmolded products, but I am not too familiar with the technology. I understand the difference between overmolding and insert modling, I think, and I was wondering: is there any other names for overmolding? Or is it only ever called overmolding. I want to make sure I am not omitting anything important in my search.

Any reply is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jay

Re: Overmolding

Always heard overmold but it doesn't mean that other names for it don't exist.
"Skin" was always my personal favorite! Example: Jet ski tow bars

I did one of my college reports on gas injection.

Good Luck with the studies and keep up the hard work. Someday your friends will laugh as you pick
out the few impefections in their bumper and tell them SO and SO had to add spring loaded ejector pins to
the tool so the part didn't stick to the cavity.

Re: Overmolding

Try Bi-material molding, co-molding, and of course the old stand-by of over molding but basically try using a bunch of names or materials you have heard of in combinations and you'll come up with all kinds of info.

Over molding is having one substrate or general part and then molding either the same material or other material or other colors or a bunch of combinations over your original part so that it looks appealing or functional, as you can see it's both cosmetic and functionality issues come in play.

let those who want to laugh as much as they like but if you're young enough and so are they then some day you're going to be their boss, HAR HAR