Return to Website

MoldMaker's Forum

This is a place where those involved with the moldmaking industry can come together to share information, ask questions, offer tips, etc.
(It may be necessary to refresh/reload your browser window after posting in order to see your post as well as any other new posts.)

***Posts containing negative opinions about specific products or services will be deleted if no contact information is provided.***

If you have problems using this forum, or need technical advice, please send an email to info@ctipublishing.com.

*The views and opinions expressed in this forum are not necessarily the views of MoldMaking Technology magazine.*

MoldMaker's Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How is business???

I hear manufacturing is coming back a bit. Any mold-shops seeing an increase of business? Near Chicago, many shops are no longer around.
I'm a one man shop, for the most part, I did models & Deckel duplicating and engraving during better times. I tried to diversify into more general mold work before the bottom fell out. I was still getting a few calls for repair work when no database existed for existing molds. But since nobody seems busy, I'm not even getting that.
I'm pretty sure this will be my last year if things don't improve. It just isn't worth the time to do the paperwork for a business that grosses less then I could get working at Walmart.

Re: How is business???

Dennis your not alone last year was a sad year. This year started off strong then drew back some. I counted up lost customer since February of 2001 I've lost 21, closed, moved, gone some are around in name only and are a warehouse now for goods made elsewhere, and I've only picked up 11 new customers since then that are still active. You have to offer both diversity and niche if your a small shop. I do Microwelding when that is down I've got a Wire EDM that is still running, if both those are slack I've still got progress because my CNC mill can/is running all three can stand independent of each other or work hand in hand to generate income.
Our world has changed, work doesn't just find you now days, you got be extra aggressive to find work, cold calling is not something I like to do, but it's part of it.
But with that said, there is a point where enough is enough, this isn't the only occupation.
Best of luck.

I appreciate your thoughts. I did mailings with a list I compiled from the phone book and other sources. Many came back as no longer at this address.
I also send a mailing when I get a possible new lead.
I tried some other ways of generating new sources too.
I had one person who said he had stuff coming up last Sept. After Sept came and went, I contacted him he said he'd have something soon, I never did hear from him again.
I figure I'd do another mailing if there was any sign of things improving, hence my post. It looks like nobody is posting that things are getting better.

I went to get some tool steel heat treated in Oakland California,this past November.Back in 80's when I served my apprenticeship for moldmaking,this heattreater had two shifts for tool steel for moldshops.I asked him on my last visit hows the injection mold business,he told me in the 90's he had 28 mold shops,today only 1.I sinced moved on
to learn tool and die metal stamping at a large orthopedic company,great place,Made in USA products.Well we got bought and mfg went to Mexico everything else into the dumpster.I am now on my own doing orthopedic products,labeled with the American Flag,One nation under God. Made in USA.

I am with an OEM, we make irrigation systems, and we are seeing an increase in business. However I am being told to take more tooling offshore, since our competition does it we must compete. I don't like this at all!!! I have a feeling that most of the OEM's will be doing the same. It would'nt even surprise me if the automakers follow suit. Sorry Guys!!