Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6-2-4

I'm confused about my dad's WWII USMC 6th Division unit hierarchy. I'm researching this in order to find patches that correspond, for a shadowbox tribute my brother is creating.

Dad was part of the 6th Division, 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines, G Co (mortars), fighting on Guam and Okinawa. The 6th Division emblem is no problem! But, I thought 4th Marines was 4th Marine Regiment? Which, I understand, was compromised of the phased-out Raider Battalions (my dad graduated from Raider training in Jan 1944).

So, am I looking for 2nd Bn, 4th Marines? (which seems to be attached to the 1st Div?) Or 2nd Bn, 4th Marine Regiment? And sometimes, it seems like he was attached to the 22nd Marines? Like I said, I'm confused -- hope you can help clear things up for me!

Thanks

Patty