Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Impersonating a Marine

What are the ramifications of impersonating a Marine?

I ask because my family and I recently discovered that a young man we know who claimed to be a Marine is actually not in the Marines (but he was at one point).

Last night we discovered that he had stolen a laptop from my parent's home and then he confessed to having stolen a digital camera, a GPS unit and $400 cash from my home.

We met this guy last June and he would frequently wear his dress uniform to church and he would go on and on about the Marines. Turns out everything he ever told us was a lie and he used the guise of being in the Marine corp to garner sympathy and undue respect from others. His was a hard-luck story about having been abused as a child and he went so far as to claim he had a purple heart--but no one ever saw it. If you asked him why he didn't wear it he responded that he didn't want people to "make a big deal about it." With all the other lies, I'm positive he was never awarded a purple heart.

My parents and I are in the process of pressing charges for the theft, but I'm thinking that if there are criminal penalties associated with impersonating a Marine that he needs to face the music on that account as well. We're not seeking revenge, but this is serious and I'm confident he is using "the uniform" to dupe all sorts of people into giving him money, free room/board, etc. And, regretfully, his acts are a huge disrespect to those who serve faithfully in the Marines and ask for nothing in return while he runs around lying about being a Marine and stealing from others.

What are your thoughts?