Return to Website

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum

Welcome to the Sixth Marine Division Association's Web Forum. Post your question or comment below and answer any post by clicking on it if you wish. (HTML is allowed).

If you prefer, you may also post on our <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sixth-Marine-Division-Association/200771499939039">Facebook page</a>

Sixth Marine Division Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Book "Some Must Die" by PFC James s. Nutter, Battlefield Narrative Invasion of Okinawa 1945

SOME MUST DIE: A Battlefield Narrative of the Invasion of Okinawa by James S. Nutter

James S. Nutter was 35 when he enlisted in the Marines in 1945. He was the publicity manager for United Air Lines in Seattle at the time, and a former news reporter and writer for the Associated Press.

He was assigned to Headquarters Squadron of the 2nd Air Wing of the Sixth Marine Division, writing condensed reports for his superior officers, his weapon a typewriter. Transported to Okinawa on the USS Allendale, his troop landed on the main beachhead on L Day April 1, 1945, a landing virtually unopposed. Yet, over the next 82 days, the worst fighting and casualties of WWII happened during the Battle for Okinawa.

James S. Nutter wrote about this strategically vital battle from his on-site vantage point in his book SOME MUST DIE, a Battlefield Narrative of the Invasion of Okinawa. He relates the battlefield events comprehensively, as seen through the eyes of the fighting men, the squad leaders, the Platoon Leaders, the Company Commanders, and even the top brass.

SOME MUST DIE also includes an overview history of Okinawa and its people, the strategic aims of the invasion, the Sea Battles of the theater, and the battle for air mastery—with thrilling narrative of the Marine Corps Corsair fighter pilots protecting the fleet from droves of Kamikaze suicide planes, as well as delivering the closest air to ground support of the entire war.

The author even includes a first-hand account of a suicide orgy stumbled upon by two very frightened marines who witnessed the ritual Hari Kari of several defeated Japanese officers—their trusted seconds standing at hand with Samurai Swords—and the more lowly suicides of the common Japanese soldiers, dispatching themselves by means of hand grenades held to their heads. But for the timely dispensation of gratefully accepted cigarettes, the Marines might not have survived their encounter.

James S. Nutter died in 1949 and this important historical narrative remained unpublished. As his son and heir to his legacy, I believe that SOME MUST DIE is worthy of joining the published history of World War II as this account was written from the battlefields by a professional journalist and Marine while these harrowing events were still raging. His access to these firsthand stories speaks to the resourcefulness of an avid newsman.

I am in the process of trying to get this book published. I would also like to connect with those who were a part of this historic moment, and those connected through loved ones.

Jerry Nutter
1336 Madrone St
Ashland, OR 97520
Telephone: 541-890-4149
nutterjs@feffnet.org

Re: Book "Some Must Die" by PFC James s. Nutter, Battlefield Narrative Invasion of Okinawa 1945

Send me a PM. I know a group in PA who are always looking for books like this to publish